1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths text books for primary children

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Jude73, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have a small study centre which I run from my local library, I was wondering if anyone knows of a set of good text books I could use with primary aged children? I was after something colourful with a bit of instruction and plenty of exercises. The books I've looked at already are a bit short on content eg 50 pages for a year group which is ok for brief revision but I need something a bit more?
    thanks x

2. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

I like the 'Target Maths' books. They are not colourful, but they do contain a lot of exercises (differentiated into 3 levels) so are useful for rigorous practice and they have useful 'review' sections at the back. They are good for KS2 maths as they give good NC coverage but I also use them for elements of 11+ preparation and have been known to dip into the Year 6 book to revise a topic with KS3 pupils. Like you, I have found that the more colourful and pupil-friendly books can be a bit lacking in content. I would be interested to hear others' suggestions too.

3. Thanks Typhoon, the Target books look pretty good - the best I've seen so far, I'm going to order one and trial it with a student! I shall try it with home schooled children as well, it can be really time consuming making resources etc as it's so different from whole class teaching!

4. Hi. I've been tutoring for the past few years and love my Maths on target books. It makes planning quick and easy and provides ample questions for each session. It is also useful to have them differentiated for you! I use them for Years 3-6 and I also have their text books for Year 7 which although quite good I don't like them as much as the Junior years ones.I am currently hunting for an alternate book to use alongside my Year 7 one.

5. decj

decj New commenter

Agree and Target books are fairly cheap too which is important if you're self-employed. The Target range also extends to KS3 with the Essential Maths books which are great too. Check out their website.

6. I have found Mathswise from Oxford books excellent, especially for pupils with problems.