1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths test for Primary PGCE Interview

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lucycook87, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,
    so, I got an invite for an interview, very exciting! Have been preparing everything - Presentation, Written Task, Group discussion points, Extended Study statement and possible interview answers . . . . but have neglected the revision for the maths test and now i'm starting to panic about it!!!
    My interview is next tuesday at Worcester Uni, can anyone give me ANY advice on what things to revise for it, where you can get revision materials and to what level should I be revising?!!

2. Hi,
    This is the advice I was given anyway. To revise topics such as decimals, percentages, fractions. Adding & multiplying time. Ratio. I was advised to look at QTS Skills test books to see what kind of Math level needed. (I haven't atarted doing this yet though.)
    I think BBC bitesize revision questions are good. I've been just using GCSE revision guides.
    I'm a bit worried about the maths too, I was good at it at school , but knowlege is very rusty now. [​IMG]

3. 'started' not 'atarted' First paragraph last line.

4. Hi All
    I had a PGCE Primary interview at Kingston on Monday. The Maths test was pretty simple. The first question was:

What are the odd numbers in this list:

The questions got harder but there was nothing there that scared me. I had previously done several of the QTS skills tests numeracy practices and they are MUCH harder than anything I had on Monday. If your day-to-day maths is OK and you are comfortable adding 1/2 and 3/4 then you'll be fine!
    Good luck
    Clive

5. Thanks for your advice.
    At least I can do that! [​IMG]

6. Yeah, I was quite good at school, but was horrified to find I struggled with even some of the Bitesize stuf!!! Particularly long division - that is my ultimate fear!!
    The QTS stuff on the TDA website is quite good though.
    On the day it probably will end up being the easiest part of the interview and a load of worry for nothing, at least it's distracted me from worrying about my presentation!

7. Thanks for the info Clive. I started going over the maths again for my interview in January, so I'll track down some of these QTS skills tests you mentioned. Cheers :)