1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Teaching to SEMH KS3/4 learners during lockdown.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pippapiechart, Apr 4, 2020.

1. pippapiechart

pippapiechart New commenter

I teach maths in a Secondary Special school for learners with SEMH eg Social Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties. I have been thinking of ways to connect with my learners, most of whom do not have laptops. Most do have a Smart Phone, though. Any recommendations for Maths learning Apps? Or any other ideas to connect with my reluctant learners at the best of times. I have been putting out material on OneNote and sending out work packs so far.

2. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Maybe you could use Khan Academy? They can set up an account and you can monitor it. So you can see if they are actually using it. Maybe you could ring the students individually and get them to set it up whilst you are on the phone to them and talk them through the first lesson. Then create a reward chart for when the students are back at school. It might be better to set general work and then zoom/ring students once a week/fortnight and do a one-to-one with them. As most students with SEMH (in my experience) are unlikely/unable to do anything at home.

3. pippapiechart

pippapiechart New commenter

Thanks so much for your reply really helpful.

4. EGO8

EGO8 New commenter

Maths colleagues,

Please spare 5 minutes of your time as you wake up to the day and to the working week.

https://t.co/INktZbtMNi

I am just collecting initial basic data to draw initial inference on and develop further follow-up study.
    Wondering if you can complete and share with your departments.

Thanks in advance.