1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths teaching England to Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by deemallon83, Sep 1, 2016.

1. deemallon83

deemallon83 New commenter

I am waiting to hear back from the GTC Scotland regarding this but would appreciate any advice from people in the know.
    I am currently second in department for an outstanding school and have 8 years experience teaching Maths. I have a degree in economics, have completed a SKE course and a PGCE in secondary maths. I do not have an undergraduate degree in Maths and wonder if, despite my experience and additional qualifications, whether this would rule me out of getting registered with the GTCS.
    Thanks in advance.

2. misemefein

misemefein New commenter

Hi,
    I hope not. I am in a similar position. Was a Senco and trained (aor) Business teacher. GTC have given me provisional registration but I must complete a top up PGCE and they have said I do not qualify as an additional support needs teacher , inspite having been the head of the SEN department.
    I hope you have better luck than me!

3. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

Under these circumstances you would not be considered eligible to teach in Scotland.

The GTCS require an undergraduate degree in the subject discipline with sufficient SCQF Credit Points (or equivalents) as well as the Post Graduate Diploma in Education.

4. Calmac4

Calmac4 New commenter

I'm exactly the same, science degree, ske and pgce. You must have 80 scqf credits in maths with 40 at level 8 to teach maths. However, if you have a-level maths, this counts as your 40 at level 7. I'm now applying for conditional registration which gives me 3 years to complete the additional module with the ou.

Hope that helps

5. am4u9zfs4t

am4u9zfs4t New commenter

Thanks for that. I'm unfamiliar with the SCQF, but does that mean that the other 40 could be from a certificate in mathematics? i.e. a one year course a bit like the first year of a maths degree.

6. Calmac4

Calmac4 New commenter

I think so yes, I've just been accepted onto the council conditionally and have said I am looking at completing a certain module. They have then approved me.