1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MATHS TEACHING..ADVICE AND GUIDANCE NEEDED PLEASE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Aug 28, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am fairly new to teaching...just finished probabtion and at a new school. The new school I work for teach different maths to different groups it appears. So for me thats 3 different maths groups with 3 different topics...I have planned a whole weeks worth of maths for each group...but how I carry it out is going to be very difficult and its stressing me out. Does anyone have any advice on how I can work with only one group at a time? I have not met my new class yet. Thanks

2. This post is a little confusing - differentiation will include at least 3 groups for each session, because obviously the higher ability children will be capable of much more than the average and the less able will need a "watered down version". They shouldn't need different topics, e.g. if the lesson is about money,each group will be doing money related activities.
    To work with one group at a time, it's just like any other lesson - you plan activities that the other groups can attempt independently or with resources other than you, while you concentrate on focussed input with the group you're with.

3. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

You would think that...but at my new school each maths group is at a different area in maths so I am teaching 3 differnt topics in one lesson.

4. Its up to you what you teach in each lesson so just change it so they are all learning the same topic.
    Are you saying that some of your class wll be doing handling data, some doing shape and others on number?
    Why?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

??? Are you sure?

6. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Yes I am sure...we work from planning sheets by level. Its a lot of planning and I feel It is very difficult to manage.

7. This seems bizarre, however, number, calculation, SSM etc are all taught at each level, so even if you need level 2,3 and 4 objectives about 2D shapes for instance, the theme of the lesson would be the same for everyone, therefore the lesson is not unmanageable, but is simply differentiated.

8. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Some groups have done the topics so I have to teach by topic.

9. If I were you, I'd check again with your school and ask to see sample planning, because to be entirely honest, it doesn't make sense and if none of the advice you've received here is helping, I think there must be a misunderstanding between you and the school.

10. It sounds as though they are trying to teach in the form of a carousel and an integrated day - years since I attempted any of that!!!
    Like posters have added above I would double check.
    Ideally you want the overall arching focus for the 'class, set' to be the same eg AT2 number based and then differentiating the learning for the groups based on their ability - this is where your levels would come into play.
    Some groups using and applying what they have learned, some groups practising or consolidating and your focus group being taught something - something they can not learn/do/know/use/apply/understand WITHOUT your direct input.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You teach the same topic e.g division as a whole class - but differentiate it up and down for the ability of the class. That's teaching - you have children at low level, high level and many in the middle. Imagine what a 3/4/5/6 teacher has to do in a class!!!

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

they do much the same! my boss hasn't had a breakdown. yet. :D

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

You might find it interesting to note that the countries with the best Maths performance in the World all teach mixed ability Maths classes through to the end of compulsory education. They refuse to accept that any child cannot "do Maths", the expectation is that all children work hard to keep up and also to help each other do so!