1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths teachers collaborating

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MarieJoubert, Nov 29, 2015.

1. MarieJoubert

MarieJoubert New commenter

The International Congress for Mathematics Education (ICME) is interested in teachers of mathematics and how they collaborate. By this we mean a deliberate and sustained initiative of collaboration, not just a chat over coffee. Collaboration could be organised to take place with colleagues in one or more schools, researches, business or other parties.

We are looking at research on the topic but are also aware that a lot of valuable collaboration goes unreported. We're trying to develop an understanding of a) what's going on and b) what works well and c) why.

We have studied the NCETM reports from the Collaborative Teacher Projects (well worth looking at!).

We're asking this forum, and more widely, about the experiences of individual teachers of mathematics (at any level). Please comment to share your experiences, or, even better, complete the questionnaire here.

We will share the results!

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Started filling in the form and failed - not sure that Twitter chats can fit your description but they can be valuable. Mathematics Conversations.

3. MarieJoubert

Thanks Casy. Why did you fail at filling in the form? Was it a technical error on my part? I thinkt he twitter chats are useful - many thanks.

4. Colleen_Young

Marie I stopped because looking at your description of collaboration Twitter chats did not quite seem to fit, so I just abandoned the form and replied here.

5. MarieJoubert

Thanks Casy. In a sense Twitter does get used for collaboration and I appreciate your efforts. However, you're right - for our purposes, it doesn't fit.

6. Colleen_Young

...but you shouldn't forget how valuable the informal chat's over coffee / informal Twitter chats can be...and that is what can fit in to busy teachers' lives. I would say that is seriously valuable collaboration.