1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths teacher to HOY

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by walkerkatie25, May 9, 2019.

1. walkerkatie25

walkerkatie25 New commenter

I am in my second year of teaching. I have just had an interview for a temporary head of year in my school. I didn't get it due to lack of safeguarding experience. I went for the job to gain experience as a HOY and lead of safeguarding so my question s this: how do I gain experience in safeguarding to become a HOY? Does anybody know any courses I go look into? Any books I can read? I deal with things as a form tutor on day to day basis but they want me to lead on things more and show I have had an impact on a group of people.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Katie

2. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

In my opinion, becoming a head of Year 2 years into teaching is utter madness... It takes at least 3 years or so to become a good teacher, let alone pick up the wherewithal to do a good job of such an important pastrol role...

But like I said that is only my opinion, and I do wish you good luck although I have no advice for you!

3. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

Echo the above. For me, as a Head of Year / Key Stage, so much of doing it well comes down to sheer experience. Are you ready to take responsibility in your second year for a child who's lost the plot and its up to you to bring them down? What about the angry parent etc. Maybe you do based on a past career but I know I'd have been destroyed doing the job just 2 years in. Is there a possibility of shadowing / sitting in on meetings, discussions etc. with a more experienced colleague. You could maybe work pastorally with small groups of vulnerable students outside of class time. Also learn your safeguarding procedures.

strawbs and blueskydreaming like this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If your username if your real name then you need to contact TES admin and change it. If you were safeguarding lead, and had to advise students how to stay safe online, what would you tell them about using their real names?

Your LA probably has an online safeguarding course. They probably also offer face-to-face courses as well, for example for NQTs; since you're in your second year of teaching your school may be happy to release you for half a day and pay any fee to attend. Really, knowing the local procedure is important, because you'd be using local procedures to report anything to the LA.

You will get experience of safeguarding through experience of being a teacher and a form teacher.

If you've been told to 'lead on more things' and 'have an impact on a group of people' that doesn't sound to me anything like safeguarding. It sounds like they want you to be more involved with your tutor group or a club. Lead - organise an assembly, or a charity event, or a trip in your subject, or even offer to host a CPD session on PowerPoint because you're great at using it. Have an impact = show you can get your bottom sets through GCSEs because you've built a rapport with them, show you can manage behaviour, show you can support struggling students...

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

What’s the rush ? I could applaud your ambition but on this occasion I suspect that your inexperience would damage the very students you want to lead, manage, support and guide . Have witnessed too many colleagues promoted too early in my career and inevitably it is the children who suffer ....

6. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

As Maths departments are under such close scrutiny, I wouldn’t do it. Try to get a second in dept post first perhaps. This will give you some experience.

Schools are massively struggling to recruit core subject HODs, as they are under so much scrutiny. Get lots of experience first and then you will easily get a job, and be more used to what the job entails.