1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths teacher observing an Art lesson - what on earth am I meant to say?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by beedge, Sep 2, 2011.

1. beedge

beedge New commenter

Firstly, I'm the world's worst artist. I know absolutely nothing about Art either. Unless it's Esher. I especially know nothing about teaching/learning Art.

Anyhow, during the lesson, they were all getting on with more or less what they were supposed to.

The art teacher was helping them.

At one point the teacher showed them all how to a particular thing - involving wrapping up a piece of paper in a certain way, and then using glue - or something. I don't know.

It all seemed fine to me - but I have no idea how I can write this up formally.

Please, can some of you arty types give me some buzz words, phrases, (or even paragraphs!) so that I can sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Things about the "strengths" and "areas for development" would be particularly useful.

Thanks very much!

2. beedge

beedge New commenter

Firstly, I'm the world's worst artist. I know absolutely nothing about Art either. Unless it's Esher. I especially know nothing about teaching/learning Art.

Anyhow, during the lesson, they were all getting on with more or less what they were supposed to.

The art teacher was helping them.

At one point the teacher showed them all how to a particular thing - involving wrapping up a piece of paper in a certain way, and then using glue - or something. I don't know.

It all seemed fine to me - but I have no idea how I can write this up formally.

Please, can some of you arty types give me some buzz words, phrases, (or even paragraphs!) so that I can sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Things about the "strengths" and "areas for development" would be particularly useful.

Thanks very much!

3. Hi
    Please tell me that this is just for peer support in some way? If its more formal then I'm quite alarmed to be honest! You don't need to be a good artist to observe an art lesson but there should be some very clear expectations from the outset and it should be clear what the purpose of the observation is. Is this part of ofsted preparations or quality assurance?
    It is the same for any observation isn't it? What would you look for and what kind of feedback would you give for a maths lesson? Were the objectives met by all pupils, were all learners making progress? What were the resources like? Were pupils behaving/Interested/engaged? How did the work fit into the SOW? You mentioned the demonstration - how effective was it? Did this inspire pupils to continue and was it clear or did it leave pupils confused? Were the pupils able to experiment or was the task very specific?
    Look at the art specific ofsted grade descriptors which breaks it down into more detail. The basic principles are the same for any subject but if you are doing an observation I would suggest that an awareness of these descriptors is vital. Especially as whoever you have observed is going to want, and is entitled to, quality feedback.

4. I suggest you ask to be withdrawn from the process. If you can't appreciate a good teacher, regardless of subject, you are not in a position to make a valuable appraisal of a teacher.
    p.s. Esher is a town in Surrey. I think you are referring to Escher.