1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths teacher Moving back to Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by daniels2, Feb 10, 2019.

1. daniels2

daniels2 New commenter

Started the process now of applying for Computing and/or Maths jobs in Scotland (Central belt and Ayrshire coast). So if there are any tips on jobs, when to apply, how to complete app forms, I would be very much thankful.

So what are the current thoughts on availability?

2. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Teachers who can teach both Maths and Computing are like gold dust in Fife - I heard of a retired teacher who had both subjects and was snapped up by supply straight away. One school in Fife had to drop computing because they couldn't get a teacher - it made the national press.

My Job Scotland has several jobs up. There's one at Kinross High, but that might be too far away, although there's motorway access?

I see there's a post in Gourock - that might suit you better, but it's temporary.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I've just spotted a permanent job in Fife - Glenwood High? Think that's Glenrothes.

I do have friends who commute to jobs in Fife from Glasgow/Livingston/East Kilbride. If you're planning on living right on the west coast, it's probably not doable.

Might be an idea to get a foot in the door by applying for supply. At this time of year, there may be schools planning their timetable for next session who don't offer computing now, but would like to. (In some central belt schools, S1 and 2 kids are taught I.T. by Business Ed teachers AND any Computing teachers the schools can manage to get hold of, but that doesn't work for senior pupils, of course.)

https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/search?keywords=computing

Plenty maths posts going.

https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/search?keywords=mathematics&changing=keywords

Hope you find something that suits - I'm sure you will.