1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths teacher Moving back to Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by daniels2, Mar 12, 2017.

1. daniels2

daniels2 New commenter

I'm teaching GCSE Maths in England; have been for more than 10 years. I'm 50, looking to move my family back to Scotland. Is there any chance I'll get a job?...Is there really a Maths teacher job shortage in Scotland? Happy to teach Computing Science also, as I used to be a software engineer.

2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

Yes there is.

Think you'll get a job no problem. You'll need to get on to the GTCS about registration and they're not the quickest or most helpful organisation, so I'd get on to them right away.

3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Just be aware that the GTCS may kick up a fuss if you trained through an on-the-job route (GTP etc.) rather than an academic (PGCE, BEd et al) one. You also need to make sure that you have a degree that is predominantly maths.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

There may be a "shortage" but that doesn't mean you'll walk into a job....getting a permanent post tends to be fraught with difficulties.

5. daniels2

daniels2 New commenter

GTCS done, degree done (many years ago), PGCE done in Scotland (many years ago - 1) [algebra]...totally agree with "GuessWho", but I'll give it a go.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not what I've observed at the moment.

7. aypi

aypi Established commenter

put the fingertips of your right hand just below the thumb of your left hand. If you can feel a beat, you're in.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

9. GuessWho

10. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

You have just described my sex life!

11. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

For a minute there I thought I was back in the 70s

markbannan, GuessWho and aypi like this.
  12. GuessWho

13. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Shirley Keegan.
    Kevin's less well-known sister.

14. n7esd

n7esd New commenter

I left a FT maths job last year in Scotland, I'm sure you'll get a job fine. As far as I know whenever there is a maths post advertised there are only 3 or 4 applicants.

15. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

It's been hard to get applicants for maths and computing teachers here. We don't have jobs going at the moment but if somebody retires I doubt we'd get more than one or possibly two applicants. Good school too with nice kids, just in a remote area.