1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths teacher career progression!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ashi1992, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ashi1992

ashi1992 New commenter

Hi All!

I have been teaching for 5 years in a sixth form college (A-level maths/GCSE maths) and I am caught in that weird position where I cannot apply for any senior roles as I do not have experience in management, but I don't have experience because I have never been in a senior role!

I am 25 and I am considering ways to progress within education, sometimes I look at masters in education (from UCL or open university) degrees but I am always sceptical about how useful they would be? It seems that PGCE lecturer jobs are on the decline and most senior academic roles in school (HOD etc) are entirely experience based?

My current workplace has no academic opportunities within my department and the pastoral roles are not appealing...

So how do I climb up the greasy pole? I don't want to beome a brown nose but I either need to get a qualification that can help me or gain elusive experience? What about alternative careers for maths teachers?

I would appreciate any help!

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Move to gain further experience!

3. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

I do not understand your problem. There will have been many in your position, including me, who have moved for further experience. I moved from my first job after 4 years to be second in a large Mathematics department and one year later I obtained a HOD position that I stayed with for many years. Border_ walker's analysis is spot on.