1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Target Setting

Discussion in 'Primary' started by madhatter, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Hi everyone, My school is currently reviewing our maths target setting process for children. Currently we are trialling something but it seems to be proving more difficult to use alongside the renewed framework. We want to develop a whole school target setting and progress tracking system and I thought I would ask on here for advice. How do people set/ monitor/ update and track maths targets in their schools? Do you use group or individual targets and does the quick changing focus that the renewed framework brings cause anyone issues? I know there are a lot of questions here but any answers/ discussion around any of the issues I have mentioned will be extremely helpful!

2. we look at their oats from previous year tests (so y3 - y6 do this) and pick 5 worst questions/areas that they on the whole didn't answer well as a class. These become 5 half-termly targets.
    IN PAST:
    We've also tried picking 5 from a range of areas (dh, shape, number etc etc) and whole school works on their same target in same half-term, so it's a whole school half-term target (for instance everyone has a number one in aut 1, and a dh one in aut 2 etc) and do assemblies etc on it. But it's not as well matched for each class.

3. Thanks, 2 ideas to get started with. Anyone else?

4. Upping this to the top of the TES traffic! Any other methods for target setting?

5. Anyone? People must be doing some sort of target setting - how do you work it?

6. Upping this again. Can anyone shed some light? I am starting to think that it can't be done without creating a whole load of additional work - which we don't want to do. ANY help or suggestions greatly received!

7. The only maths targets I give mine (yr 3/4) at the moment are tables facts. Not ideal I know, but infinitely more manageable than the multilayered things I had at my last school when I had 5/6. And I know that if they can really learn their tables facts in yr 3/4, it will really help the 5/6 teachers! It's fairly easy to differentiate tables targets and it is also something that parents latch onto quite easily too.
    More complicated targets can end up being just a pain in the backside, because you've moved on topics and are still trying to monitor targets for something totally different. But I'm sure some people get it to work.

8. Thanks Dillsage! Anyone else?

9. We look at SATS and optional QCA test results, any questions where 50% of class got incorrect is a 'light touch' improvement area for the children in that class which is fed back to their new class teacher. Any questions where 25% of chn in class get it wrong, this becomes an area of concern. We then look at the weaknesses across the school. If there is a common theme, we then set layered targets (must, should, could) accordingly. This year we had no common weaknesses so we decided to cover the four operations. I set layered targets for each class,we did + and - in Autumn-Spring 1 then Spring 1 - Summer x and / )

We do 'target practise' 2 x m/o starters a week, and teachers intermittenly formally/informally assess and record which target the chn are on, which gets fed back to me as coordinator every 2 months or so. I then monitor the progress of children from must to should/could..

Hope this makes sense! If you have any qu just ask x

10. How do you show progression in targets? - for example our writing targets are worked on weekly and checked off every time the chn do a piece of writing. If the chn meet they get one symbol, for working towards they get another ... We also date so can see how long these targets have been on the go. Tried the same method for Maths cuz we really like it but with the frameworks jumping around it is too time consuming.

11. We use a proforma with three columns, each with the class layered targets on ie Must should could. At start of assessment period we all assign chn to the, most appropriate target from what we know abot them (chn can be involved/you can do formal/informal assessment), this is then written on the form, then periodically I ask people to update them. We make it managemable by 2 x m/o starters a week being target focussed,ths also provides mini assessment opportunity for the teacher. We measure progress by the % of chn on each target at the start of the assessmnet period and the % of chn on each target at the end of the assessmnet period. We have found it simple, effective and managable.

Hope this is clearer?!
    pinklady82

12. Our school has been in special measures and an ISP school and we have tried all sorts and found everything suggested unmanageable and def not useful!

Target boards - waste of space and not used; whole school targets - inappropriate; layered targets - difficult to show progression across the year groups.

Recording individual children's targets and achievement difficult: target board - don't want to be specificabout which level for each child and anyway, no sooner achieved than new one needs to be set; class target record sheets - no practical use; stick in sheet in ex books - hard to keep up with, troublesome when book finished and new one started , and we don't have a record. Software (Target Tracker) - cumbersome and time-consuming.

Maths was terrible for target-setting because you change topic 2-3 times a week and we just weren;t doing them.

The latest idea is proving the most useful and labour saving. We have target sheets stuck to the wall 3 levels for maths and three for writing. Children sign when they feel confident and move on - or sign on the most appropriate when they have done some work that addresses target. We have a fill-in sheet to tick which levels they feel confident at.

The key thing is setting the targets and then addressing them.

We gave up on whole school themes and layered targets because they were inappropriate and unworkable for us and focused on what groups of children need to learn instead. Took one small target and devised three levels.

Then for maths we keep addressing them in registration work or starters. The writing ones we remind children of them whenever writing, in other subjects, too, and they can sign when they have done them in other subjects.
    This is working and useful, children are aware of their targets, choose their level and feel they have achieved.

In the end - recording and displaying targets is for show - the children learning in small steps and knowing they are achieving is useful.
    HTH

13. Thanks Gertie and Pinklady, some good ideas to mull over there. Thank you for taking the time to reply! Will keep working on it and hopefully find some happy medium.

14. Upping this thread as our target setting for Maths is rubbish. Anyone any gems?

15. A school I visited today set whole class targets, based on weaknesses that had showed up in assessments. If the target doesn't fit into the new framework blocks they use a day or week (however long they need) to focus on that target, at some point in the term.

They are a very small school and this system works for them. We are thinking of trialling something like this next term.

16. This term we chose our own targets based on what we had seen as a weakness over the year.
    I use 3 layers and went to Peterborough to get the phrasing. I have a mixed age Y4/5. I never assign the target to a child. I explain them and ask them which one they want to do and put in some early morning work twice a week. Currnetly they are on fractions- equivalence and cancelling down.
    They write me note to say how confident they feel and what they need and at the end of term I will ask them which ones they have achieved, cross checked with my knowledge of their work. This takes very little work on your part and they take responsibility.
    We have a target board- waste of space but a board I don't need to change, which saves me time for something else.

17. CB123

CB123 New commenter

I too find this very difficult. I see there is a need to target set but if a childs target is to multiply 2 digit numbers than they can only work on this when this is being taught. So do schools have targets for each topic / unit. Dont know where to go as I feel a target needs to be something the children can be regularly working at and therefore seeing progression.
    This poss sounds very waffly.
    Would love any inspirational ideas!!

18. Yes, I think layered targets is pobably the easiest as they allow chn to reach for the top level if they feel comfortable with it. I think we will choose 2/3 targets for a wk or a unit of work and these will be displayed on target board/ working wall. These will be addressed in either main teaching or mental oral. Now I need to think about how to kee a track of achieved targets/ targets not met etc for ind children or do I keep a group record? Hmmmm too muc to think about this close to the hols...

19. Anyone else do things differently...

20. Hi everyone - as far as recording my assessments in line with app targets i have been trialing appforschools.com i think it is getting better i have adapted it by adding all the app statement into my own section and as i do an element obj i mark against that criteria - as the term has progressed so i have seen how my students develop holes in their learning and have spent the time regoing over those elements .. you have to get into using it though .. take a look it might be some of what your after !!