1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths target booklets for parents!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by andyref7, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I am looking for Maths target booklets to give to parents of children in Year 1,2 & 3 to help them understand the topics and learning objectives that we cover throughout the year. Does anyone know where I could get a copy of these? If possible based on the new APPS!
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    I am looking for Maths target booklets to give to parents of children in Year 1,2 & 3 to help them understand the topics and learning objectives that we cover throughout the year. Does anyone know where I could get a copy of these? If possible based on the new APPS!
    Thanks

3. Find the topics, break them down based on YOUR outcomes for the year and dont worry about the latest fad system.
    These resources will stand the test of time yet havent got the 2011-latest-acronym-for watered-down-education badge on them. Just good solid maths
    http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm
    Other years here
    http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm
    If you want a pure guide to help parents the dcfs have a 'understanding maths for parents' booklet on pdf if you can get hold of one.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

There is one already made. Called "Help your child in maths". Think it's on the Lancashre LEA site.

5. For this age group interventions should focus on processes, not outcomes.
    So for example you should be encouraging parents to do things like take their kids to the sweet shop and work out what they can buy with 20p.
    Or spot and name the shapes in things.
    Or do symmetry paintings at home (it's great what you can do with a 99p end of line roll of wallpaper and squirty paint from wilkos - even more interesting when the child wants to make folds on diagonals etc.).
    Or explore the scales you use when you are weighing things for cooking (try using the bathrooms scales - what's happening and why?)
    Or measure things for real situations.
    Or play around with measuring jugs in the baths.
    and do things with counting large numbers of things (so they find their own short cuts).

6. Whilst I agree with this - are you saying that we shouldn't worry if a child can do basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division?

7. As in written number calculations? Not really, not before year 3. Year 2? I depends on your class.
    There's no problem with individual students moving on to abstract calculations (number problems devoid of context) if they're ready and confident but it causes big problems if you move on to abstract calculations before they're ready. So you work on contextualised mathematics instead to build their capacity to abstract. This can include things like division (by sharing objects) odd and even numbers and multiples.
    This was thoroughly embedded in the new primary curriculum which his Goveness in all his wisdom abolished.

8. It depends on your class not I!

9. Becka
    To clarify:
    Don't teach pure content, teach process?
    Mother "How old are you Peter?"
    Peter, aged 4/5 "Kettle, kettle, kettle, saucepan, cup?, oblong?"
    Are you teaching maths or are you teaching something which can be used in association with maths? (but not as substitute)

10. Maths embodied in contexts rather than number calculations devoid of context.

Give 'em a context, give 'em another context until they are fluently abstracting the maths from context to context and they are clearly ready to work in the abstract (just with numbers).

It's also good to calculations with piles of things. Let the child add big numbers by counting all the things together. When they're confident with this, show them the short cuts associated with creating groups of 10. Lego bricks are good as they link together.

It's easy for parents at home to do activities like this, especially if you give them a couple of youtube videos showing parents doing this kind of thing.

Sure, by year 3 the teacher should be tracking outcomes. But if a parent asks - what should I be doing? I'd give them a list like the one above. + music tuition (a disciplined study of rhythm in particular) has been proved to be very valuable.

11. Oh yuk - club penguin was running in Google.

12. So why is it many pupils come to secondary school without knowing timestables and stand up playing with their fingers everytime you ask them to multiply two numbers?
    You dont need to have any idea of bricks, lego blocks...how do you introduce the idea of negative numbers? what do you do when you have 67 + 9? do you get a load of bricks? and make them count them out? what about if bob has 20 lots of 6 bricks? do you throw 120 lumps of lego at them?
    I cant help but think the majority of your beliefs are just a case of trendy glossing over of a lack of control and true education
    Make them rote learn their times tables THEN EXPLORE your context, make them stare at a number line and work at it THEN EXPLORE context.

13. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Beta - I usually agree with much of what you say, and I know that Weebecka often expounds ideas that are very different from those others use, but on this occasion (depending on the year group being talked about), I think WB is saying some useful things.
    In Y1 children shouldn't start with abtract notions of number. They should have concrete representations to work with. I am not for the moment suggesting that children should 'rediscover' mathematics for themselves, but they do need to 'experience' it properly. The idea that children count items and combine two sets of objects seems to be a sensible one to me.
    For example:
    • "I have 4 bricks and you give me 2 bricks"
    • "I have 4 books and you give me 2 books"

• "I have 2 bricks and you give me 4 bricks"

• "I have 4 bricks and you have 2 bricks, so altogether ..."
    All of these give the same "answer", yet there are different things going on in each of them. If I know that 4+2 is 6 then it doesn't matter to me whether the items being counted are bricks, blocks, chicks or clocks. But it might to a child, who, by seeing lots of different contexts, is making those connections.
    When my son was young I was amused at the way his elder sister used to show him plastic numbers and would try to 'teach' him what they were. She would tell him "this number is 3", even though there was only one of them. He wasn't damaged by this, but certainly didn't learn anything about quantity, just that the name for that particular shape was "three", in the same way that the name of that big, wooden thing is "table". She would then say "and this is 4. It is bigger than 3" and I would wonder what he was thinking, because the two plastic shapes were actually the same size!
    I don't want to second-guess WB, but there are lots of ways of creating a need and a sensible meaning for negative numbers. Just telling the kids "this is a negative number, it behaves like this, learn it" doesn't seem to be the most useful starting point. And, again, it depends what year group we are talking about.
    This would seem to be an ideal example to use with pupils. While they certainly _could_ answer this by counting bricks they are likely to hit a wall if they do [​IMG] so there might well be a better way ... and then introduce a more formal way of doing it.
    Be careful it you do - the parents might sue ...
    If we are talking about Y1 then I disagree. Yes - later in primary school it is really important to know your tables, but the starting point for using numbers surely has to be _understanding_ numbers?

14. crumbs - i'm out of touch with infants, but is this really y1 work? my 2 are not mathematical geniuses, but they were doing this pre-school - is this not introduced to capable children in rec if not nursery?
    also - when mine were in y1, 2, 5 and 10 times tables were introduced in class and the kids did that chanting '2,4,6,....' thing i don't like, but that's another issue - that's tables