1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths staff meeting

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by codface, May 3, 2011.

1. Hi, I am the maths co-ordinator in a large primary school & I have to lead a staff meeting in the summer term. I have no ideas what to do. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Hi, I am the maths co-ordinator in a large primary school & I have to lead a staff meeting in the summer term. I have no ideas what to do. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I find it hard to believe anyone can give you help based on such limited information and even harder to believe that someone in charge of the direction of a subject would have no idea what to do.

4. Hi, I think it depends on the number of Maths classes and and numbers of Maths teachers etc. You might need to disuss the scheme of work fo each year, plan for one to one if it needed, looking at the students levels and their targets. Good luck![​IMG]

5. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Tea and biscuits?

Maybe you could look at how you track progress?

Maybe you could look to see if you have common teaching methods or do all teachers do their own thing.

Surely you need to chat to your head and decide what the focus should be?

Or were you hoping for us to do this for you as well?

6. I forgot to tell you look at your current and new resources, optional tests.[​IMG]

7. Why not look at the Teaching Children to Calculate Mentally material - is the last thing to come out of National Strategies so would guess that as you don't know what to cover and you have not been told what to cover that you have not looked at this as a staff yet.
    I will probably get shot down but I think it is a useful document, with loads in it, you'll struggle to cover it all in one staff meeting.Choose a focus from it.
    Or, how about looking at how you teach the four operations, progression from year to year, methods etc. Not sure how long your staff meetings are but again you probably won't get time to cover all four, maybe look at addition and subtraction as a starting point.

8. You should have a subject development plan for the year, this is your starting place: what has been identified as a focus for the year (or focii)? Is maths a high priority subject in your school if so there should be actions in the school development plan that you can address. Do you have a calculations policy? If not I would recommend that you agree this with staff first.

9. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Unbelievable.
    Could someone please let me know my agenda for next week's dept meeting? Oh, and while you're at it, any ideas about what meal to cook tomorrow evening?

10. But they were deemed capable of the job when given the position or presented suggestions they were. Regardless of pay the position should be aware of the job description

11. googolplex

Agreed with Betamale. At the meeting, get on and 'coordinate'...

12. I love it when the regular posters on here are so friendly and understanding towards new people. I'm not surprised the OP hasn't come back to clarify their position. Typical 'if you can't stand the heat' attitude'. I don't think for a minute any of us would speak to anyone so dismissively in person if they came up to us in the staff room and said 'i've got to coordinate a meeting next week and it's my first time so I'm feeling a bit lost and can you give me some advice'.

13. But if they said .. I have NO IDEA how to do my job?

14. I would help assuming they were not in a position where you expected them to know and either being paid to know or got the job on their 'merits'
    I would happily offer support to my fellow teacher who said "I have knocked this together, can you run your eye over it Bob?"
    I would sit for as long as it took. If they asked what to do I would question their suitability to carry out the task.
    I strongly believe if you accept a responsibility you should be ready for that and I would have less confidence working for anyone who had done it for the cash bonus or the 'must do' career progression.

15. googolplex

Agreed with betamale.
    Let's suppose the OP had said: I'm running this staff meeting next month. I've decided to tackle XYZ issue. I want them to get ABC out of it, so we're going to have a look at PQR materials and then get into groups to develop some resources for Year 5. Has anyone else tried this - are there any ideas out there as to how I could develop this? Has anyone found some other resources out there on this topic?
    With suitable substitutions, wonder where this thread might have gone then...?

16. Hardly helpful or polite is it? Especially when the OP was completely new to posting.

I think several people, myself included, tried to get the OP to give us more details but I'm afraid by then the damage was done and they probably went away with a very poor impression of the forum.

17. But yes, I agree with what you are saying Betamale, a better approach would have been to either give us some clue or at least tell us what they had so far (even if it wasn't very much) and then go from there.

The more general point I was trying to make was that people new to forums are often a bit intimidated anyhow and I think it's nice to treat new people a bit more gently than established posters.

Having been here for a little while, if I'd have made the original post then fair enough but not to someone totally new.

18. googolplex

You are, of course, entirely correct...
    (Scuttles off to find sackcloth and ashes....)

19. It was 2 days before that comment was made

People had asked for more info and/or made some suggestions

The OP had not returned because?

20. They were busy teaching?

What's your suggestion?