1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths should be taught everyday

Discussion in 'Primary' started by robyn147, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I think problem is with teachers who follow primary framework religiously - they can end up doing over a week on data handling without any calculations. I believe that calculations should be built into numeracy everyday.
    I don't think this is happening every day in every class room. We are still getting children into year 5/6 who cannot count on from any number in 2,3,4,5,6,7, etc which is a year 2,3,4 skill.
    Children need to be counting everyday, practising their tables, using and applying number skills and some times in some classes I KNOW that this is not happening.
    Not just in the school I am in now but in the schools that I did supply in over the last 4 years!

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I know a school that does 15 mins of Guided Maths a day where they focus on basic skills and number work. I tend to use my starter for number work - even just using a meter ruler to count up in 5's or to help fractions. Maths IS being taught every day though, or at least it has been in every educational establishment i've ever visited!!! It might not always be number work but I think the article would lead non educators to believe that kids barely do maths of any sort!

3. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Has anyone suggested to him that he may benefit from actually setting foot inside a school to see what we do? He clearly has no idea.

4. The guy is a complete idiot! What does he think we actually do in class each day?!