1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths session based on an object???? Help!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Vikki27, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm completely stuck and in need of some ideas. I've been asked to prepare a 20 minute maths session based around an 'object' of my choice for interview. I just can't seem to think of an interesting object. So far the only ideas I have are a dice (boring) a box of Weetabix (not sure what to do with them) or some sort of sharing thing with cookies/ pizza (but I'm not sure that would count as 'an object').
    Any ideas would be amazingly helpful at this stage.
    Oh and it's to a mixed ability year 1/2 class.
    Thankyou,
    Vikki

2. Off the top of my head:
    • a calculator <!>
    • a tape measure (tailoring rather than steel for little ones!)
    • a game, eg snakes and ladders (what happens when you muck around with the numbers on the dice?)
    • a map or plan
    • a newspaper or magazine/comic
    • some building blocks (shapes; can we find a quick way to count them)

3. A box of Weetabix. I'm wondering how many weetabix fit in a box and if I can fit more in if I put the biscuits in a different way round. Then I'm wondering if we share them out in our group, how many do we get each? How many need to be in our group so there are none left over and is there only one solution to this? What if we had to share out the left over biscuit(s) how much Weetabix would we have each then?

4. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

Do you have an abacus? (or even better a set of them and some items to count)

5. misconception

misconception New commenter

What about a mobile phone? - something they might be interested in?
    Work on a 'finding all possibilities' type of problem?
    Put the problem in a context ie tell some sort of story about a town where everyone has to have a phone number with three digits and all the digits have to add up to 6? - 'Sixville'?? Maybe everyone has 6 legs, 6 arms, 6 eyes etc. How many different phone numbers can you make?
    Differentiate for year 2s by asking them to find 4 digit numbers or numbers with a greater total? Lower ability could have digit cards with numbers and dice spots on to support their addition?
    Teach how to use a systematic approach to solve a problem. Children to think about how to present their results?
    S x

6. First off, for those who think this forum is stroppy with people who ask for help I think you have done it exactly right. You have had some ideas already but have had problems with them and, having explained that you are now asking for help.
    I love this idea! You could put them down to make a rectangle formation, you could stack them up (how high would the stack be?), you could make an outline of a rectangle, you could lay them down end to end and see whether they will reach right across the classroom.
    You will make lots of mess, though, (crumbs everywhere!) and may require several boxes.
    Other thoughts: if a packet of dried spaghetti counts as "an object" then you could get them to make some shapes with four pieces and to name them (square, rhombus).
    Going back to cereal: you could get one of those multipacks of small boxes (the ones where everyone always eats the coco-pops first and leaves the boring Corn Flakes until last). The pupils could measure round them in different ways (eg around the middle, around it top-to-bottom, around it going diagonally) - they could use string and then measure the length of the strings. Which one is biggest? (the diagonal one?).
    [I am just messing around here - I have no idea what is appropriate for Y1/2, but presumably you shouldn't just have an object but also an objective ...]

7. Perhaps a little beyond 1/2s but
    National Lottery scratch card
    <ol>[*]Very basic Currency recognition[*]Very very basic probability words such as 'impossible'[*]Recognition and dimensions of basic shapes[*]How many of them people claiming benefits can buy each week from their handouts as a % of their total income</ol>

8. At what age do they start measuring?
    Could you be really brave and use a pupil as your "object"? You could then put it over to the pupils as to the different areas of maths on the human body; anything from basic counting to the golden ratio (not year 1/2, though!), and simple measuring to volume estimation. The more I think of it, the more I really like this idea as a recurring theme - you could do it with almost every year group, and see what extra maths you can add to it each year.

9. erm

erm

Estimation - how many weetabix / balls / blocks / toys will fit in the box? How much will it weigh?

Nets?