1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths School Trip

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by tru_smoov, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Any ideas on where to take my unmotivated, ungrateful low ability year 10s on a maths school trip?
    I'm thinking of organising one in a last ditch effort to win them over to actually want to do some work in my lessons and achieve a half decent grade :(
    I am based in Kent so ideally local suggestions would be best although any sort of ideas are very welcome and would be much apprciated!!

2. Any ideas on where to take my unmotivated, ungrateful low ability year 10s on a maths school trip?
    I'm thinking of organising one in a last ditch effort to win them over to actually want to do some work in my lessons and achieve a half decent grade :(
    I am based in Kent so ideally local suggestions would be best although any sort of ideas are very welcome and would be much apprciated!!

3. You could go to the Science Museum in London, I have a maths trail I made on my PGCE if you want it. It was designed for KS3 but if your year 10s are low ability it might be ok.

Let me know if you want it.

4. Wow, that would be awesome.
    Yes my year 10 are low ability Grade D/E.

Much appreciated.

sally.spruce@yahoo.co.uk

5. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

I don't suppose you could email me it to. I'm currently being asked to raise the profile of maths in the school and have the job of finding ways to get the pupils interested!!

a_r_mottram@yahoo.co.uk

thanks

6. Hello,

sorry to be cheeky but I wondered if I could have a copy of this too. That's exactly the kind of trip I'm supposed to be looking in to at the minute.

My email is thecaseys92@hotmail.com

Many thanks

7. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

8. DaveGale

DaveGale Administrator

Seeing as we're all jumping on the band wagon - me too please!!!
    Of course, you could post up in the resources section........ [​IMG]
    Thanks very much,
    Dave
    mrgale2002@hotmail.com

9. I am a scince teacher an am teaching yr10 low ability maths. Is is possible you could email me this activity. Be great! Thanks.
    My email: samjay_krishna@rediffmail.com

10. sounds amazing. Any chance you can upload it to the resources section on TES. Will save endless emails

11. Not sure how you stucture it but how about a trip to a Racecourse?
    There are some reviews on Maths trips on www.schooltripadvisor.com to Ascot and Huntingdon.
    A interesting site that offers Maths trips is Bletchley Park National Codes Centre.

12. In regards to the Science Museum, Imperial College outreach (which is helpfully situated right next to the Science Museum) provides Mathematical masterclasses and seminars.
    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/outreach
    These again, helpfully end at around 2pm, so will not hinder getting back early or a 1-2hour spin around the Science Museum afterwards.

J

13. Hi,

Recently I have been given the task to plan a trip for my Ks3 pupils. I am doing my NQT this year and have no experience in planning a trip. If you could please guide me?

Many thanks.

14. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

there will be a member of staff responsible for trips in your school, best find out who and talk to them pronto, each school does it slightly differently and has different forms to fill out.

15. Is there any chance that anyone still has this information - and could send it to me, as I have moved from teaching languages into teaching Maths.... and have just accepted a role as KS4 Maths coordinator in a new school.

carla_canuck@yahoo.co.uk

16. olubanke

olubanke New commenter

17. hs9981

hs9981 Occasional commenter

Take them to a potato sorting factory!

18. ningningza

ningningza New commenter