1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths schemes in nursery/FS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by littleLilly, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Thanks for the prompt replies. The Boos Zoo looks great, I'm going to look into that one. I put Littlestones into google but nothing came up, do you have any more info on that one please?

Thanks again

Does anybody else use anything else, I want to investigate the options before I buy?

Thanks

2. Thank you for that, I wanted to look at some of the sample plans but can't see any online, do you happen to have any that I could have a look at please?

Thanks in advance

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Littlestones was the poster!

4. Ok thanks for that!

5. I would be very wary of using any scheme in nursery. Our children are working at lots of different levels. We plan very much through their interests and from what happened the day before. We would therefore set up equipment or scenarios relating to this. These could then be differentiated according to ability by the adult's interactions. We have several children who are already working beyond FS so need to be challenged further.This can be done without relying on expensive schemes or equiment which inevitably gets lost.

6. great reply magnamon... with all due respect to the OP didn't nursery teachers train to interact with children through play, prepared environments, routines and practical activities such as block play, cookery etc and to exploit all the curricular learning according to the circumstances?
    WHat has happened to our teacher knowledge that we are now buying into pre-produced schemes? Surely boredom is in the adult mind and not in the childs world? What is nursery education about today? We know what it was about..... but where are we now in the increasingly results and progress orientated world of early education?
    Are we in danger of reducing learning and play down to curricular 'knowledge' and measureable attainments - with the EYFS now defining and narrowing the scope for the haphazard, wandering, meandering, time-taking learning which at least nursery education once afforded?

7. Thanks for your reply. Do you do a maths carpet session each day? We split into 3 ability groups for maths input each day. I'm just finding it difficult to think of interesting and exciting activities that meet the wide ranging needs of the children. Thanks again

8. Thanks for that. Text message inbox?? I didn't know there was such a thing, I will investigate thanks.

9. clawdeer

clawdeer New commenter

we have been using Little Big Maths since february, it has been brilliant! Shonette Basson did the training, which was inspiring! Our school is doing Big Maths as a whole, but little big maths is perfect for nursery and reception. we love it [​IMG]

10. Thank you that's great, I will look into it.

11. We also have 3 levels of groups for our daily maths sessions I have emailed you a copy of our planning for maths using Boos Zoo and the keyworkers who take the group each day fill in the sheets so that the next keyworker know what they need ot cover to move their learning forwards
    Littlestones [​IMG]

12. We have abacus which is maths, literacy and topic based. We only dip into it and adapt it of course, but it is good to use as a starting point especially for those new to EY.