1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths SATs test prep

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katielou83, Apr 1, 2012.

1. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hi,

I'm an experienced Year 6 teacher but feeling rather deflated!!

We started revising last term and I am so pleased with how focused my children have been - they are working their little socks off!

One girl in particular has been working really hard on her maths and doing extra work with mum at home. If I was to give her a teacher assessment using APP for maths she would easily be a 4b, however each past paper she has done she has scored 3b or below. It's so frustrating for her and for us, as she is also one of the pupils who is always really keen to know how she did!

I have tested at the end of each term and really thought that she had cracked it this time around after all her hard work, but it's just no different.

Decided we now need to work on test technique as this is obviously the issue - any suggestions for how best to go about this? I know lots of people won't agree with doing this, but I really feel she deserves to have a test result that reflects her ability and her mum is quite clued up on levels - comparing her to her brother.

We have already done weekly small group work with her on mistake spotting. She will now have two sessions a week for the next four weeks trying to boost her confidence for the tests. Was going to look through past papers she has completed with her to see if she can spot the mistakes, looking at how we read, underline and decode the questions, checking method etc. Can anyone suggest what else we should look at so this time is beneficial to her?

Thanks so much!

KL

2. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hi,

I'm an experienced Year 6 teacher but feeling rather deflated!!

We started revising last term and I am so pleased with how focused my children have been - they are working their little socks off!

One girl in particular has been working really hard on her maths and doing extra work with mum at home. If I was to give her a teacher assessment using APP for maths she would easily be a 4b, however each past paper she has done she has scored 3b or below. It's so frustrating for her and for us, as she is also one of the pupils who is always really keen to know how she did!

I have tested at the end of each term and really thought that she had cracked it this time around after all her hard work, but it's just no different.

Decided we now need to work on test technique as this is obviously the issue - any suggestions for how best to go about this? I know lots of people won't agree with doing this, but I really feel she deserves to have a test result that reflects her ability and her mum is quite clued up on levels - comparing her to her brother.

We have already done weekly small group work with her on mistake spotting. She will now have two sessions a week for the next four weeks trying to boost her confidence for the tests. Was going to look through past papers she has completed with her to see if she can spot the mistakes, looking at how we read, underline and decode the questions, checking method etc. Can anyone suggest what else we should look at so this time is beneficial to her?

Thanks so much!

KL

3. These are good:
    http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/productDetail.asp?book=MHRP22
    I know our Y6 teachers use them and go through them, using the mark scheme with the children.

4. Does she show her working? I can't imagine anyone not thinking it appropriate to teach exam technique.
    Have you done an analysis of her test papers to see where she is losing marks?
    Have you explained <u>how</u> to answer different kinds of questions.
    I find it helps a lot of children if i also do the paper and show how i have put in information to help me - eg lines on graphs or for area type quesitons. etc.
    I do the same with mental maths - i also tell them that the first questions in each section of the mental maths are L3, next ones L 4 and the last ones are L5. so - if the last couple of questions are really hard just leave them and wait for the next section when they will be able to answer questions again.
    Time management is also important and needs to be explicity taught.
    Hope some of this helps a little

5. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Thank you both very much for your responses.

I haven't really found a pattern with where she goes wrong - it's not gaps in her understanding it's just really silly mistakes all to do with not reading the question or just not thinking about it practically. She panics and rushes yet never completes the whole paper!

I really like your suggestion abut doing the paper with her - we do this for mental maths so would fit in well.

I also really like the CGP books that are split into levels so will get the past paper books too as she can work through these in her sessions with the TA.

While continuing my own research this afternoon I stumbled across a pack of resources called 10 4 10 by Sunderland LA. Some other schools are using them as homework resources but think I will use them as early work activities for the whole class next arm and then follow them up with my girl in questions as another test technique practice.

Again, thanks for your suggestions (and your reassuring comments!)

If anyone else would like to share then do keep posting and I will add to this anything else I find.

KL

6. Is there any chance she could have a reader? Just someone like a TA who could calm her down and keep her on track?

7. you can read the maths paper to her. Mine have learnt to put hand up and ask as we can't offer to read it but if they ask can ask. Try that

8. While continuing my own research this afternoon I stumbled across a pack of resources called 10 4 10 by Sunderland LA.

Hi

Have you got a link for these please?

9. If you google 10 4 10 level 4 you will find them. You can also get level 5 and 6 now. 10 questions a day for 10 days.

10. Great, thanks