1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Sats 2016 what do you think ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rednorfolk, May 12, 2016.

1. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

[Please take care NOT to give details of the content of the papers]

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  2. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

Sorry I misspelt where instead of were... point it out before the english police make comments

3. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

The second reasoning test was much easier than the first. There were some curriculum areas not covered but I didn't think they were major areas.

Over the two tests I thought there was balance, and plenty of scope in the first test especially for brighter children to strut their stuff.

4. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

My HA set made it absolutely clear, after the final test, that they felt insulted by the lack of challenge and they referred to several questions (which of course I can't discuss here), asking why these had been made so easy when they had spent the year working at a far higher level, given the emphasis upon mastery or deeper understanding.

I was expecting at least a few questions which would have been roughly equivalent to the old Level 6 but, to be frank, there were few which seemed to equate to the old Level 5.

kjm50 and sarah1075 like this.
  5. E04076070

E04076070 New commenter

Didn't think it was too bad but I wouldn't go as far to say that there were few questions relating to level 5.

The majority of the questions were level 4 equivalent with a chunk of them level 5 with some even reaching level 6.

6. Gillimarie

Gillimarie New commenter

Oh well ours didn't find it easy at all. They struggled with today's paper. Especially the less secure children. So not sure how it is going to look. A lot of what they were more secure in didn't come up. They had to absorb so much new content over the year their little brains couldn't hold it all in. But if others found it easy that's great. Last year our more able could have done it but we had different children this year. They worked extremely hard and I am proud of them anyway. Fantastic progress over the year and I could hug every one of them.

White Beard and D1p5t1ck like this.
  7. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

I think your post treads a fine line between snobbery and ignoring those children who find mathematical concepts challenging.
    More able children will have found the maths tests fair and on the whole relatively easy to access.However, other children struggled with the reasoning due to questions designed to catch them out and the wording of 3 mark questions.I teach a small group who have made tremendous progress in arithmetic but find the worded element of reasoning papers often baffling.
    Please take your head out of the clouds and realise that we do not live in a world where everything comes easy to everyone

8. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

Good on ya!!!
    If only they measured stickability and resilience

9. cassandramark2

If you had bothered to read my comments, I referred to my HA set and THAT was the basis of my post. The other children in my school who DO struggle with even the most basic concepts, found many questions challenging but, overall, they too found the tests less challenging than expected.

I have taught every conceivable level of ability in maths and my own daughters found the subject difficult.

Before you get the knife out, take care to read before you type!!

emilyflower, HelenSQ and kjm50 like this.
  10. kjm50

kjm50 New commenter

I agree. The questions were fine for LA and MA pupils but there was plenty of scope to challenge MA pupils who finished the test within half the time.

11. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

Well said, Cassandramark2. What is the point of teaching mastery when its not tested ? God I miss the level 6 paper ! As usual the top 10% or so are not catered for in the english education system. It seems the government want all children to achieve the old level 4 in maths, and forget the ones who are working at a much higher level.

HelenSQ likes this.
  12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

The reasoning papers were definitely harder than previous years. Anyone who says different is bonkers.

Let your class have a look at the paper from last year next week and see what they think of it.

These tests are fine for the HA, but the LA struggle a lot more than they would have previously.

TweedJacket, CarrieV and D1p5t1ck like this.
  13. johndeere

johndeere New commenter

Thank you gilmarie - your honest post has made me feel slightly better about our own experience which closely matches yours, even down to the hug and the progress!

14. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

There were tears in my extra time room. A lot of EAL's who really struggled. At the other end, we had kids who smashed it. The last question on today's paper being one mark though... really?!

15. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

the last question was simple, my school is 50% EAL with less than one year in this country and they are way ahead of all my uk born kids, especially ones from eastern europe
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

16. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Hmmm... Some gifted EAL children join your school/class, who are way ahead of all your UK born kids. Does this make you question your own teaching?

17. cassandramark2

To be honest, I thought the final question would have previously earned 2 marks as it would have been tricky for some children to explain their reasoning.

As for EAL pupils, I thought that recently arrived children can be withdrawn from testing if necessary. Obviously, the ones in question were a godsend;).

18. Abbey88

Abbey88 New commenter

I found this test mixed. It was slightly easier than I had expected, especially after the horror of the reading test, but my less able did struggle with the way some of the reasoning questions were worded.
    Well done to everyone regardless. I think we should spend more time congratulating each other and sticking together, than belittling one another's teaching.

19. bramallblade

bramallblade New commenter

Well bully for those who had children fly through it. That's great. My kids were fairly typical I imagine. HA did really well and the MA have (hopefully) done enough. My LA are always a bit of a mixed bag. Some surprise me every year and others just barely cope.

Overall I thought:

Arithmetic: As expected
    Reasoning (2): Tough
    Reasoning (3): Easier than expected

20. bramallblade

bramallblade New commenter

I do not miss the L6 paper. It was an absolute nightmare. Parents constantly questioning why their little darlings weren't doing it and others were. Nightmare. Glad it's gone and I NEVER want to see it return.