1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths resources wish list

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CB123, Jan 20, 2011.

1. CB123

CB123 New commenter

2. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Opps, for some reason my origional message did not work/
    Anyway. I have been told to put together a wish list for resources for maths for the whole school as we have money to spend.
    I was wondering if anyone would recommend any good resourses which you have or wish you had.
    Thanks

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

A few years ago I was asked to do this as we had some money to spare. I asked our staff to tell me which maths resources they wanted me to buy to keep in their classrooms instead of the central store and I was given back a list of loads of simple things that I probably wouldn't have thought about as I was looking for snazzy, attention-grabbing resources.
    Top items were:
    • Place-value cards (including big teacher version)
    • Class set of clocks with movable hands
    • Sand timers
    • 2D and 3D shapes
    • Interlocking shapes
    • Number fans
    • FDP fans
    • Multi-link aplenty (I'm sure someone's eating the stuff...)
    • Blank dice that you can write on
    • Ten-sided dice and place value dice
    This way the other teachers audited what they had and what they needed for their own classrooms, instead of me having to do it, and I managed to get everything from our County Supplies catalogue. Job done.

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Amen to the above, plus:
    beadstrings
    Cuisenaire rods
    Numicon shapes
    Number tracks and lines
    Rulers (easy to overlook)
    Small whiteboards with a grid on one side, blank on the other

And probably loads more...

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Ooh, nearly forgot counting sticks.
    What was I thinking?! Muppet.

6. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I have always wanted a bead bar so I don't have to get someone to hold the end of my beadstring! I bought myself a 100 grid that is made up of big foam squares with each number on, the kids love putting it together and making up games with it. Its very big when its done. Sorting hoops. Playing cards.Dominoes. bingo balls.

7. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Id imagine youd need to audit what youve already rather then squandering money on things

8. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Thanks for your ideas - I certainly will be doing an audit before buying lots of things

9. I have tubs of real money ... 1p up to £2 coins and then "fake" notes that I printed off and laminated. The maths cupboard has a huge box of plastic money but everyone always comes to me for my real stuff!!!!
    Simple thing to do but no-one else seems to do it .... don't know why!
    (I only lend out if they promise that the boxes come back with the correct amount! Someone once helped themselves to my pound coins to pay for coffee club!!! )
    So my wish list would be for every teacher to have their own real money
    I'd also like ....
    stopwatches that work
    weighing scales with different scales of measurement ... does that make sense?
    tape measures that don't rip (I pinch from IKEA everytime I visit)
    my own multibase set and numicon set ( I'd look after mine and make sure the set was complete after use instead of shoving it in a cupboard and hoping no-one notices bits have gone missing)

10. You can have my multi-link!!! I have 3 drawers full [​IMG]

11. My staff have asked me for a list and this is what I've managed to come up with:
    <ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li style="color:navy;" class="MsoNormal">Digital timer [/LIST]
    Other resources needed in classrooms:
    <ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li style="color:navy;" class="MsoNormal">Times tables chart [/LIST]If anyone can think of anything else that one needs in ones class to make their lessons flow smoothly, please add.
    Cindy