1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths resources -anyone got this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by char2505, Jan 27, 2011.

1. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hi ,I'm trying to order maths scales which support addition. Eg they would show that 3 + 2 = 5, by putting objects on either sides of scales if this makes sense. Was hoping this would support 8+ ___ = 11 type questions which my Y1s find tricky
    Hope this makes sense -can't seem to find these in any catalogue. Alternatively, if you have any other ideas as to how I could make this learning more accessible, I would be grateful to hear it.
    Thanks,
    Char.

2. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hi ,I'm trying to order maths scales which support addition. Eg they would show that 3 + 2 = 5, by putting objects on either sides of scales if this makes sense. Was hoping this would support 8+ ___ = 11 type questions which my Y1s find tricky
    Hope this makes sense -can't seem to find these in any catalogue. Alternatively, if you have any other ideas as to how I could make this learning more accessible, I would be grateful to hear it.
    Thanks,
    Char.

3. Teach them how to find the difference on a number line?

4. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Thanks, pinkflipflop. We do use this technique, also getting children to look at the total, eg 11, getting that many cubes stacked, then splitting into 2 and seeing how many left. I feel that they still see the equals sign as an 'and the answer is' and would really like them to see how both sides of the number sentence should balance.
    Will plod on with finding the difference, though. Cheers.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I had some in reception that I bought at ELC

8. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Thanks, all. I had seen these in the catalogue, but hadn't realised this was what people meant when they spoke of this resource. Was envisaging if you were showing eg '10' on one side, the chn would be able to physically see 10 of something of one side, and eg 3 and 7 on the other. Worry that showing the number 7 would not help with understanding. Does this make sense?! I guess in this case maybe I could use regular scales and put 10 teddy counters on one side, and 2 groups of diff colours on other side. Hmmmm. Sorry if I've started a wild goose chase for something that does not exist.
    Thanks again.

9. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

10. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Indigo, you are my saviour! That is just the kind of thing I was after -numicon to the rescue! Many thanks.