1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths resource help - tessalleted triangles which make hexagon with calculations on!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by fieldy24, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I'm hoping to find the source of a fantastic activity which my daughters tell my they regularly do in their (secondary school) maths lessons and I'd like to use it in primary... any help appreciated!
    I understand that children are given a stack of card triangles with numbers/calculations on which they match in the same way `triominos' work. When all triangles are in their correct position they form a hexagon which completes the puzzle.
    Hope that makes sense! [​IMG]

2. I'm hoping to find the source of a fantastic activity which my daughters tell my they regularly do in their (secondary school) maths lessons and I'd like to use it in primary... any help appreciated!
    I understand that children are given a stack of card triangles with numbers/calculations on which they match in the same way `triominos' work. When all triangles are in their correct position they form a hexagon which completes the puzzle.
    Hope that makes sense! [​IMG]

3. Hi fieldy24
    It's called "Tarsia". The software can be downloaded for free. It is available here. Scroll down to the version of Tarsia you need.
    Have fun!

4. KYP

KYP New commenter

Hi,
    You can make the triangles (and also dominoes and other resources) using free software, from Hermitech, called Formulator Tarsia (http://www.mmlsoft.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=10) The link gives you information, then you need to go to Downloads to get the application. You can also get some sample resources there. However, with a little practice it is easy to make your own 'jigsaws' using exercises and answers from text books, or questions you make up yourself. A search on the internet for "tarsia jigsaws" will find a lot more resources. Be warned, the full size hexagons can take quite a lot of time to solve! (Not to mention the time taken to create them and to cut them out!) For primary, you could be creative and use them for matching words and pictures perhaps or ... over to you!

5. Hi Nazard and KYP,
    thank you so much for your quick replies and for sending the link to an amazing resource.
    It'll be great for my more able mathematicians and so many possiblities for other subjects too - once I've got the hang of how to create them! I can't wait to get started.
    Thanks again,
    Fieldy.[​IMG]

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

There are loads of Maths tarsia puzzles on the e-maths website.
    I recommend from experience that you always do any downloaded tarsias yourself before giving them to groups to check for mistakes, repeats or hidden hard bits. My colleagues are very helpful if I try to check them during lunch breaks I find - they just can't resist joining in!

7. Thanks bombaysapphire - I will remember your advice! The emaths website you mention looks useful too.[​IMG]
    Fieldy

8. alabaster

alabaster New commenter

mr barton maths website also has loads that you can download