1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths recording for LA groups...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vanadesse, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm working on an activity for a Year 2 LA group for Maths. They're going to work in partners and time themselves doing various activities to see how many times they can do that activity in one minute. For example, how many times can they jump in one minute, how many times can they run up and down the hall/corridor etc. I'm just wondering what would be appropriate recording for them. Would I get them to write a sentence such as "I can jump ___ times" or would they be better off recording it in a pictorial form? They'd need help writing the sentence so I'd probably write it on the board and they copy it with their number put in. I'm a PGCE student so I'm still working on the leveling of activities so all advice is appreciated!

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm working on an activity for a Year 2 LA group for Maths. They're going to work in partners and time themselves doing various activities to see how many times they can do that activity in one minute. For example, how many times can they jump in one minute, how many times can they run up and down the hall/corridor etc. I'm just wondering what would be appropriate recording for them. Would I get them to write a sentence such as "I can jump ___ times" or would they be better off recording it in a pictorial form? They'd need help writing the sentence so I'd probably write it on the board and they copy it with their number put in. I'm a PGCE student so I'm still working on the leveling of activities so all advice is appreciated!

3. They don't need to record in this way, as the objective is to understand the passing of time and how long a minute is, so your focus would be seeing if they understand this. You could photograph them doing the activities, or make post its of what the children have said. If you feel they need to record something I would create a frame or something with the words 'I can________________ in one minute' with a box above for them to draw a pictures of their action and enter the number of times and the activity, or just allow them to choose how they record it (they may prefer to do this on a whiteboard which you could then photocopy).

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Well my class teacher put record in her plan, which is why I was trying to fit some kind of recording in. Do you think maybe it might be best to instead do a photograph? Or the frame? Thanks for your reply by the way, it's appreciated.

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Can you give them a table where they just put a number against each activity? That will give them something to refer to when compring each activity.
    What is the purpose of recording? Will they do something with the information when they have finished? If not, no point ... IMO.
    Carrie [​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree totally and would get my LA children, also year 2, to do no recording at all for a similar activity. However if the OP's classteacher wants recording then recording must happen.

I agree they could draw a picture and just write the number, maybe on a whiteboard which you photocopy or in their books. Or maybe make a worksheet with the LO at the top and a few empty boxes. They draw a picture of them doing the activity in the box and write the number of times near their drawing. Then they have a record of several activities all in one place.

Just keep in mind it is a maths lesson and so copying sentences off the board is not really a good use of their time. (Not absolutely sure it is in literacy either, but definitely not in maths.)

7. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

That's what I thought, it's maths not literacy and so surely doesn't need lots of writing. Maybe a drawing and the number would be a good idea. As long as I keep a note of what activities they've done I can always tell the teacher if she can't work it out from their drawings!