1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths question from the practice QTS skills test...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Beckylouise7988, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Beckylouise7988

Beckylouise7988 New commenter

Ok so this is the question:

"In a maths exam 3/4 of the total marks come from a written paper and 1/4 of the marks come from coursework.

In the written paper 1/4 of the marks come from a mental test.

What fraction of the total marks come from the mental test?"

Can any maths bods help me out?
    According to TDA the answer is 1/3... I don't see how it can be! But I'm not great at maths...

Becky

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

So of 100 marks, 75 come from the written paper and 25 from coursework. 18.75 marks out of the 75 come from the mental test. (25% of 75.) That's not a third. Is the TDA wrong or is it me!?

Incidentally, when people took these tests, had anyone, ever heard of a bar-and-whisker diagram before they did the Numeracy test? No-one on my course, no-one I've asked since, had ever encountered one (including me)!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

3/4 are from the written test. 1/4 of those are from the mental test.

3/4 x 1/4 = 3/16.
    Which is nowhere near 1/3.

I think I know what the question is supposed to say though!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

We teach it in year 9-11.
    They are used quite extensively in statistics to compare distributions.

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I'd seen one or two, but I'd never head them called "Bar and whisker" (not sure I'd seen a name for them...) - it was baffling.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I believe the reasoning is.....
    1/4 of the 3/4 comes from the mental test.
    1/4 of 3/4
    = 1/4 divided by 3/4
    = 1/4 multiplied by 4/3 (division of fractions - invert then multiply)
    = 4/12
    =1/3

7. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

but surely a quarter of three quarters is the same as a quarter multiplied by three quarters not divided by. It looks like a mistake by the TDA to me.

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It is a complete mistake by the TDA

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Please note:
    I was explaining <u>how</u> someone would come up with 1/3
    I was not suggesting it is correct![​IMG]

10. It's just badly worded. It should have read 'what fraction of the total marks for the written paper come from the mental test?'

11. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

Yeah I came up with the same answer as Lilac a bona fida Maths bod.

12. impis

impis New commenter

18.75% is what I make it.

13. er - it says '1/4 of the marks on the written paper come from the mental maths test' - so how could this be the question? unless it should also have said that 1/4 of the total marks come from the mental maths test - what fraction of the written paper marks come from the menatl maths test
    which makes the actual question well beyond badly worded.
    op - have you put in a written complaint?

14. You're right flora, I was looking for the question to fit the answer and didn't quite make it. Agreed about it being well beyond badly worded.

15. Beckylouise7988

Beckylouise7988 New commenter

I sent an email (as that seems to be the only way to get in touch with anyone these days!) and said that the question was wrong, turns out that if you look at the printable version of the question it gives a different answer as well.

That same test has been on the site for ages, either no-ones spotted it or are going away and doing extra fraction revision thinking they cant do it!

Becky

p.s I passed all 3 of my tests yesterday!

16. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Well done! [​IMG]

17. Well I always thought I was **** at maths and I make it 1/3.
    In my hamfisted way:
    OK, 3/4 of the total marks are the written test, with in this 1/4 of the marks are from a mental test. So the fraction of marks from the mental test is 1/4 of 3/4, tricky, so double it 2/8 of 6/8 makes the written bit and the 2/8 is 1/3.
    Double them all: 6/8 of the total marks come from the written paper, 2/8 of the marks from coursework. In the written paper 2/8 of the marks come from the mental test. What fraction of the total marks come from the mental test? Answer: 2/6 = 1/3
    Draw a circle if you can visualise this better!

18. Bethannie you're correct as is your explanation, I find it easier to visualise a cake!

19. No! They've told you that, it's 1/4.
    The wording in the OP is quite clear and the final answer is 1/3.

20. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

This question was from mine last year:

Complete the missing numbers;
    2,4,6,8, _
    3,6,9,12 _
    5,10,15,20 _
    13,13,13,13 _