1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths - Put the brakes on

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by arsinh, Feb 13, 2012.

1. arsinh

arsinh New commenter

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Students are put under too much pressure and results are not everything. It is at least equally if not more important to develop an enjoyment of the subject.
    If therefore my understanding of the article is correct then I totally agree.

3. DM

DM New commenter

4. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Yep it seems, unwittingly or otherwise Jonny has given Mr Gove and the right wing media something they are going to lap up - ammunition to berate teachers and further condemn us as a load of lazy, spongers from the state who are solely responsible for the ills of the whole society.
    I don't agree with everything in the article but I the reaction to it is totally over the top.
    The point behind the article - that many students are but under so much pressure to succeed that they actual perform worse - and that going to Cambridge is not the be all an end all - is surely valid?
    You only have to look at the ridiculousness of schools entering students for GCSE's in year 9 to know that. They are not doing this for the educational benefit of the child and care little for the incredible and unnecessary stress it causes. All they are interested in are league tables and results. EDUCATION is about so much more than this.

5. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Response from Jonny to the Iain Martin article is here. [As well as appearing as a response under the Iain Martin piece.]

6. DM

DM New commenter

7. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this the media hype and the attempt to "tar everyone with the same brush" is the real crime here.
    I simply cant believe this is being so widely reported.
    The daily mail has asked the student concerned to contact them. I really hope he does as then he will almost certainly confirm how much he benefitted from Mr Gritths excellent teaching.
    However a lesson for all of us I think - Never refer to actually students in writing be it facebook - on here or anywhere else!
    I do have a dreadful fear that this ultimately might put an excellent teachers career at risk.

8. arsinh

arsinh New commenter

9. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Chris McGovern, chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, said: "It is deplorable that the school is not looking at the pupil's best interests and is asking him to lower his sights rather than raise them. "It is entirely unacceptable and it permeates the entire school system."
    Given that the school were Mr Griffiths "In its most recent inspection report, published last April, the college was rated as "outstanding" and praised for its "ambition to raise aspirations amongst young people and offer the opportunity to achieve success". then I hardly think it fair to say that a tongue in check comment from one of its staff gives evidence of something permeating the entire school system.
    I might also add - if anyone from the government or press can be bothered to publish this:
    The two tier maths GCSE has impacted significantly on Grade B students many of whom are entered at foundation to gain a "safe C" rather than risk failure at higher. OFSTED themselves acknowledge this so why no plans for a return to a much fairer and academically more rigorous (especially at the top end) three tier GCSE?

10. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I will answer my own question.
    Because despite the image that they care otherwise they don't.
    The two tier lacks challenge and able students can fly through to an easy A or even A* making virtually no effort whatsoever and failing to gain preparation for A Level. But the pass rate goes up (which is politically a must) so all is fine.
    But hey ho - any excuse for a bit of teacher bashing is OK.

11. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Elizabeth Truss, MP for South West Norfolk, said: “Teachers should be doing all they can to help keen students get ahead. I am horrified to hear of an enthusiastic student being discouraged from aiming for the top. "This is a symptom of the disgraceful culture of low expectations that holds many back, particularly from low income backgrounds."
    Come on Liz really?

12. DM

DM New commenter

She is heavily involved in launching the Sir Isaac Newton Mathematics Free School in Norwich (to the point of being a propagandist for them) so is hardly going to waste this golden opportunity to rubbish the local competition.

13. arsinh

arsinh New commenter

Last night she tweeted "I think it amply demonstrates the value of a Norfolk Maths 16-18 school than encourages enthusiasm rather than sneering at it." and Gerard Kelly, the editor of TES, replied "He got the lad and hundreds like him into uni. You do anything equally useful recently?"

14. Mr Kelly now rises in my estimation! well said!

15. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

A joke for you ... Where do hobbits keep their Scientology books?

In Elrond's cupboard!