1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Problem - Which monitor is the biggest?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by shirtandtie, May 17, 2011.

1. I went to the local computer store to buy a replacement monitor for my home PC.
    My existing monitor is 19", that is to say the diagonal dimension is 19", and I am happy with this size.
    There were two types of 19" monitors in the store; 'widescreen' ones with a 16:9 aspect ratio, and 'normal' ones with a 4:3 ratio. The second type were not as wide, but they looked bigger.
    But which one was bigger? And how much bigger was it?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Forget about it being a maths question ( simple question on areas ) and go for the one which is more useful for you to work with.

3. Depends on what you mean by "bigger" ... area? width? height?
    I've done a couple of activities in the past where there is no right answer, and then given each group a point to "argue" and they must then see how the maths can back up their argument.
    You can then set up a mini (not mass!) debate.

That aside ... do they still sell 4:3 monitors?!?!

4. Is there some significance in 16:9 being the square of 4:3?
    Just wondering.

5. BTW, I forgot to add that it is now possible to get monitors that can be rotated by 90 degrees in the vertical plane. Apparently all you e-markers will benefit from such devices.
    I expect you all knew that.

6. Based on area you're correct, 4:3 is bigger. 4:3 are 15.2 x 11.4 giving approx 173 sq in and 16:9 are 16.56 x 9.31 giving approx 154 sq in. About 19 sq in more.

7. Gone for the 4:3 (actually had to order it - difficult to find in a shop).
    It's so much better, not because it's 12% bigger, (thanks to the above posters for that), at no significant extra cost, but because it's so much better for 'office' work.