1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Problem Solving Scheme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Aliceparker88, Jul 15, 2012.

1. At the moment my (Junior) school has a huge push on problem solving in maths. As from September, we want to implement a scheme of work to show how progression looks across the school in a range of problem solving strategies e.g. drawing a table or finding all possibilities.
    As I'm taking on the role of maths coordinator in the Autumn, I've been asked by the current coordinator to develop this to share with staff and implement. It's a challenge I'm really excited about, but as an NQT I'm finding it tricky to know how to start to make sure that it ties in suitably with national expectations. I'm envisaging perhaps picking a few of the more common strategies and breaking it down in terms of skills that could be taught explicitly then encouraged across the curriculum each year, but there's so many strategies I could choose and so many potential directions I could go in I'm feeling a bit lost!
    Anyone got anything similar in place in their schools? Any advice on where I could find some ideas to start me off?

2. At the moment my (Junior) school has a huge push on problem solving in maths. As from September, we want to implement a scheme of work to show how progression looks across the school in a range of problem solving strategies e.g. drawing a table or finding all possibilities.
    As I'm taking on the role of maths coordinator in the Autumn, I've been asked by the current coordinator to develop this to share with staff and implement. It's a challenge I'm really excited about, but as an NQT I'm finding it tricky to know how to start to make sure that it ties in suitably with national expectations. I'm envisaging perhaps picking a few of the more common strategies and breaking it down in terms of skills that could be taught explicitly then encouraged across the curriculum each year, but there's so many strategies I could choose and so many potential directions I could go in I'm feeling a bit lost!
    Anyone got anything similar in place in their schools? Any advice on where I could find some ideas to start me off?