1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths planning year 4 - Abacus/White Rose

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellenbentley18, Aug 19, 2018.

1. ellenbentley18

ellenbentley18 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently going into my RQT year. During my first year, I was encouraged to follow the Abacus scheme for maths to teach my middle set class. I have made my own plans, resources, checkpoints, assessments based on this scheme of work.

I also incorporated White Rose challenges (fluency, reasoning and problem solving) to push the children on.

I am staying in the same year group and have the same maths level. I know some people don’t like Abacus as it jumps around so I am looking for opinions/advice on how I might use it more effectively. It would be a shame to discard all of the hard work and planning I did last year.

Many thanks!!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If it worked for you and the class you taught in the school you are in, then carry on. You'd be daft not to.
    Obviously tweak bits as you go to suit the new children, but that's it. And change the bits you weren't happy with.
    Why make more work for yourself?

1 person likes this.
  3. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

I agree with caterpillartobutterfly totally - why reinvent the wheel? We should be simplifying our working practice not making it more difficult by starting again or accessing resources already made to make our professional lives easier.

On that note - I have used the WR maths planning but didn't know about classroomsecrets.co.uk - where you can download resources and slides to support the lesson plans. Yes, it costs £35 to join (or a school membership can be purchased) but I see that as a real time-saver. I'm pushing for a school subscription for my current school.

There are some great resources for PS&R on the NRich website too :)

4. damo6bomb

damo6bomb New commenter

Classroom secrets is an amazing
    Place for resources in a WR style. They also have some good SPaG resources on there. Personally I’d rather pay the £35 and save the time making resources which have already been produced by others.

5. markhorsey

markhorsey New commenter

In my opinion schemes of work are there for ideas to adapt to meet your class. If you find abacus meets the needs of your children use it if you are spending more time adapting the lessons and resources then it’s time you looked elsewhere. Teachers time is precious use whatever time saving schemes that are out there. Remember £33 is only the cost of 5 bottles of wine! So over the year it’s less than £1 a term and think how much time you will save. In due course I’m aiming to design worksheets and share on tes so keep your eyes posted