1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths planning (Year 1)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by orchid77, Jan 4, 2011.

1. I am a trainee teacher and my class uses the Lancashire county council planning. I have been given a week to teach:

'Describe simple patterns and relationships involving numbers or shapes; decide whether examples satisfy conditions'

'Solve problems involving counting, adding, subtracting, doubling or halving in the context of numbers, measures or money, for example to 'pay' and 'give change'

I am really struggling to understand what this actually wants me to teach...i was just wondering whether you could help me understand? My topic is under the sea so all activities need to be related to that which i think is confusing me even more :/

Thanks for your help.

2. I am a trainee teacher and my class uses the Lancashire county council planning. I have been given a week to teach:

'Describe simple patterns and relationships involving numbers or shapes; decide whether examples satisfy conditions'

'Solve problems involving counting, adding, subtracting, doubling or halving in the context of numbers, measures or money, for example to 'pay' and 'give change'

I am really struggling to understand what this actually wants me to teach...i was just wondering whether you could help me understand? My topic is under the sea so all activities need to be related to that which i think is confusing me even more :/

Thanks for your help.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

If you have a look at the new framework, they suggest you teach the following for each of the objectives you mentioned......
    'Describe simple patterns involving counting........' Teach the children this 'I can use numbers or shapes to make patterns of my own; I can describe my pattern to others'
    So you could do things like repeat patterns, get the children to continue patterns, spot mistakes in patterns, tell you what the 10th object in the pattern would be - how do they know?, describe a pattern so a friend can make it.
    If you are looking at mermaids as part of your topic then you could start with a letter from a mermaid asking the children to make her some new necklaces (the pirates stole her others!!). She could give some instructions/start of patterns for the necklaces to begin with and then they could move on and do their own. Maybe she could send some 'snapped' necklaces with just a few beads on and a bag of loose beads for the children to finish off the necklaces. She could send some that she tried to repair herself but got the pattern wrong, could they fix them for her? I guess you get the idea!!!
    For the other objective 'Solve problems involving counting, adding.....' the framework suggests 'I can solve a problem or puzzle using adding/subtracting'
    So you could have word problems to solve such as 'There were 10 small fish at the reef. Ashark came along and ate half of them. How many were left?' 'The crab has 8 legs and the starfish has 5 legs. How many legs altogether? How many more legs does the crab have than the starfish?'
    They could decide if they need to add or subtract 'There are 10 shells on the seabed. 6 are covered by sand, how many are showing?' (Do you need to add or subtract to solve the problem?) The mermaid has 3 bracelets on her arm, she puts on another 5 bracelets. How many does she have now?
    Hope that all makes some sense!!

4. Comenius thank you so much for this, it is such a massive help. I feel like i can actually start making a decent start at my planning. I can't thank you enough :)

5. inq

inq

The above ideas are all good (as you've realised) but I thought I'd just comment that these objectives are covered several times throughout the year so you don't need to cover all the objective each week it is on the planning. It is worth checking with your teacher what they did last time these objectives were looked at, he/she may also have notes on the planning from previously (or in a mark book) showing which children achieved the section of the objective that they looked at.
    Last time we looked at the second of the objectives (can't see the original post) we looked at adding numbers and next week we'll be looking at adding money, some parts of the objectives also reappear in other blocks too, although they may be slightly reworded.