1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths & Phonics Intervention Activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by leahannabelle, Jan 27, 2020.

1. leahannabelle

leahannabelle New commenter

Hello all :)
    Each morning I have selected children to do maths and phonics interventions with. I am beginning to run out of ideas! They are reception age children and for phonics the focus is on blending and segmenting.
    Any help is much appreciated x

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

What have you done so far? Some activities might need to just be tweaked to make them fresh.
    Don't forget with young children, repetition is good. It can make them feel like an expert, you can just adapt for ability and difficulty.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. leahannabelle

So far I have done a lot of work on making our own number lines with number cards. We have counting out different types of counters and magic beans. With some of them we have been doing one more than, using numicon. We have been counting things such as claps,jumps. Counting on our fingers. Looking at whether two groups of objects are the same or different.
    I completely agree with repetition being great for young children, but I think sometimes it becomes less engaging for them when it is the same thing all the time.

Spanishwoman likes this.
  4. TeacherMan19

Taking it outside might be a good idea. Hoops, beanbags, using chalk to draw, write, identify and test each other. Could be done for both number and phonics.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

With the maths, can you identify what the children are having difficulty with? Is it counting one to one, is it knowing the number sequence, or reading the numerals? Once you know this, you can use games to add fun to their learning.

For the phonics, have you looked at letters and sounds for activities relating to blending and segmenting?

6. leahannabelle

I love the idea of taking it outside. I just wish I could get the teacher on board with this- as I always need to be in view to support the behaviour of other children aswell.

7. leahannabelle

I normally do my interventions on a 1:1 basis or in small groups as their needs are completely different.

8. TeacherMan19

It's really easy to find documents and info sharing the benefits of outdoor learning. Maybe you could take a group to do an activity to ease the need for behaviour supervision in the classroom?

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If, as this post suggests, you are a TA, then the teacher should be planning the intervention sessions and therefore the activities.

A successful intervention session requires your full attention...you cannot be expected to give any significant behaviour support to the other children at the same time.

10. Spanishwoman

Spanishwoman New commenter

Emerging Literacy will lead you to lots of activities https://highlandliteracy.com/emerging-literacy/