1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths outdoors and fun!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by munchkinamy, May 9, 2013.

1. Hi,
    I'm in need of some inspiration. I feel my outdoor area is lacking some what in maths based actvities and I was wondering if anyone had anything that worked well or their class enjoyed etc? My class are generally (obviously a few exceptions) very good at maths so things that are quite challenging would be good.

Im being observed next week with a maths focus so any ideas would be VERY much appreciated.

2. I have just done some activities outside related to length for reception class, after they have had input inside class.
    Children have worked in pairs to find things longer than metre sticks and recording items (by naming or drawing) using clipboards (or you could use different lengths of ribbon)
    They have also walked along the length or all wall around using a trundle wheel, counting clicks to measure how many metres.
    We have also collected twigs to find longest/shortest, also used box of plastic animals to measure length. Children pick five and put them in order. I tended to use animals such as crocodiles, lizards etc Obviously, you could use other animals if talking about tall.
    Chalking around children lying on floor then measuring how many ruler lengths.