1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Observation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by honeybunny07, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Hi

I am in a year 1/2 class and I am due to be observed in maths.
    I can pick any area (but just covered shape/reflection) and obviously want it to be 'hands on, children discovering things for themselves etc.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I was going to possibly look at measures - length, but not sure that it might tricky due to differences between year groups - standard/non standard units etc?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

tell us what you've planned so far and we'll give advice!!
    are you a student? NQT?

3. hi I am also due to be observed in Maths for a lesson on measuring. I am with year 1 and it will be their first lesson on measuring. I am thinking of asking them what words they know which they think would link to measuring and then I am going to use the IWB to ask them which objects are shortest/longest.
    I am not sure what I am going to do for the middle bit of my lesson. I think I will need to stick to looking at shortest/longest for the low ability and maybe ordering a few objects from shortest to longest for the higher ability but I am not sure if this would be enough to fill an hour.
    For my plenary I was thinking of doing a drag and drop activity on the IWB of the shortest - longest for about 3 things (so that the lower ability can be involved as well). Then I was thinking of asking them to line up from the shortest to tallest in the queue ready for lunch.

4. KYP

KYP New commenter

I'm not a primary teacher, (I am an experienced maths teacher), but my grandson is in his first term in Reception and would be bored to death by sorting objects from shortest to longest for an hour! He is quite bright, but I thought that comparing lengths starts in Early Years, so even in the first lesson I would hope he met something new.

5. Hi there
    I think that this one may be good. If you want to do co ordinates. Distribute a map , make sure it is already on grid paper. ( i use Australia because I love the place lol) then tell them to find certain places( this is good as a group activity as well).Make sure that the places cover all quadrants (depends of year group). Try to tell them a good story about each place. Then ask one person to explain where one of the places is.She/ will find it difficult without using 0,2 etc.At this point you explain how that particular place is found.Ensure that you find one in each quadrant. They will then have to chose a town and challange another group/person to locate it using the coordinates. Trust that I explained this properly.
    Richard

6. What about the giant foot story. Create a giant footprint 5 times the children's or 10 times !! Create a story about giants or read a short story first.
    Then ask them to work out how big the giant would have been. 5 times their arm, leg, body and head.
    Could draw it full scale as a class activity?

7. DM

DM New commenter

I think a teacher would need to be very careful with language here or they could embed all sorts of mmisconceptions about what it means to be 5 times as big. Clearly a footprint enlarged by a length scale factor of 5 would have an area 25 times greater.