1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths observation for interview

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by shareefamussa, Oct 9, 2015.

1. shareefamussa

shareefamussa New commenter

Hello :)

I have an interview next week and I'm very nervous as well as stuck for ideas!

It's a 15 minute observation with 20 children and a TA :/ any ideas?

Do you think the children will have time to do a quick independent activity or should I keep it whole class input?
    Thanks in advance

Ps it's a reception class :)

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

In 15 minutes, I would just stick to something with the 20 children all together. Make sure they aren't just sitting and listening for the whole time - give them a chance to be active in some way. Don't plan for something that relies on a lot of children's own ideas - I've found that they tend to be quite quiet and shy in interview situations, particularly for the first 15 minutes or so. That's not to say you shouldn't ask for ideas and get children to talk, but don't let your plan revolve around it. Good luck!

3. shareefamussa

shareefamussa New commenter

Thank
    You I have a few ideas :). With regards to other interviews that might be a little longer with less children, do you think it is wise to do a outdoor activity?

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You could do. Some schools would think it was adventurous and really like you for it (as long as it was a good lesson, of course!). Others wouldn't mind whether it was indoors or outdoors as long as it was good.