1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths observation by LEA advisor - help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by acceb, Feb 2, 2011.

1. [​IMG]Hi all,
    On Friday i'm going to be observed by a LEA advisor and another teacher from my school .
    I have sorted out my main activities as part of a carousel.
    I hardly know some of the children (year 5) due to a class re-shuffle so I am still trying to assess thier levels but they range from a level 1b-4b.
    I need some advice for a 'wow' mental warm up or facinator to start the lesson. My mind has just gone blank!
    My LO is:- To use a range of mental methods involving the four operations, to solve number problems.
    I would ideally like a pratical - no equipment activity as the rest of the lesson is heavily resourced.
    Any help and ideas would be greatly received.
    Acceb [​IMG]

2. You could do a number function machine - dont take much to make - slot a number in side of cardboard box (lid from photocopier boxes) and then slide another out of the other side. Question mark stuck to the front of the box. The children can then discuss what operation sign and number could replace the question mark to create the number that came out of the machine. Could also be made as notebook slide if dont want to make the actualy function machine from a box.
    Hope this makes sense :)

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

If you are unsure of your children but know you have a broad range of ability, I would suggest a really simple idea which gets the children talking to each other.
    If you choose a very open task this will mean you don't necessarily need to differentiate too much although you may offer support resources where appropriate.
    Thinking about your LO ... if the answer is ? what is the question? You may choose to challenge the HA children by asking them to find 5 different questions.
    Another option is to do a countdown type of activity. Choose a random set of 4 or 5 digits. Can they use all digits to make the target number? LA could use any but not all. you could insist on all operations being used by HA.
    Hope this helps,
    Carrie [*]

4. you can also differentiate that one by letting la use as many or as few of the digits as they need, middle choose, say, any 4 or more of the 6 and ha have to use all 6