1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths obs for interview, all suggestions welcome!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laineylou, May 20, 2011.

1. I have an interview on Tuesday and have a mixed ability year 4/5 class to teach for a 20 min activity based on number.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts... :O)

2. I think you should at least be able to come up with a LO and then some ideas of your own.

3. Who's to say i haven't? Was just putting it out there...

4. Then you have nothing to worry about do you.

5. Hiya, I am more than happy to share my ideas with you !! I have packs of cards enough for one pack between two, they shuffle and then split the pack they have to turn over a card each and multiply the two and then use the inverse to check. Or they can use digit cards or even multile di depending on their ability.
    If you are on Unit A3 which I currently still am, do some two and three step problems that relate to them how much does an X box game cost with the cost of a new controller or a dvd and a cd. That way you keep their attention and focus but you still get out of it what you want.
    Remember to ask them to partition and show you their working on white boards but don't let them show you until you say - 1,2,3 show me - and praise those that have it right by making them maths mentors to help those that dont.
    Whatever you do, enjoy them and let the observer and the children see that you really want to be there. Good luck x

6. Thanks Maria66, ~ lovely ideas! I've used playing cards before, its always a great way to hold their attention.