1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MATHS - NUMBER ALL TERM?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shenshah, May 16, 2012.

1. shenshah

shenshah New commenter

Hi, just wondering if any schools focus on just on number for first term back/half term back in sept? Has it proven useful?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds a good idea...But no, never done it.

3. After optional SATs are analysed we focus on any of the 'non-negotiables' (key objectives - mainly number stuff) that haven't be achieved. We also do the same in the first half term of Autumn. (not really mithered if the angle questions are missed at the mo!) We think it works really well. It's what they need . . . lots of calculations, written method stuff, understanding of FDP etc. Our premise is that those key facts are what they children should have, and need to cope with the following year's work (and their life!). They're the building blocks.

4. We do for low ability children. We tend to work on place value and basic calculations for at least a term, and yes, I believe it works. They need a good understanding of the value of number, before moving on.

5. shenshah

shenshah New commenter

Thank you for your replies :)

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Yes we do! We save the other strands for short weeks and before we break up at the ends of terms.

7. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

My school did this in sept, I wasn't there then but assessments now show their number understanding is excellent. So it seems to have worked. I believe this was a whole school initiative.

8. shenshah

shenshah New commenter

Any other offers?