1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths NQT year in independent school?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by carvoir, Mar 8, 2016.

1. carvoir

carvoir New commenter

I am currently a Secondary Maths PGCE student. I will be looking for a part time NQT post for September. I will be moving jobs about every two years due to my husband's job, so I will frequently be looking for new jobs. This doesn't worry me as I know the demand on maths teachers will mean I will always find a job.
    However, if I was to complete my NQT year in an independent school would I then be limiting myself to the independent sector for the rest of my career. If this is the case, how easy is it to find maths jobs in the independent sector. I have read that once people are employed in a private school they stay there and so there isn't much turn over, so how easy will I find it to get maths jobs, part-time at that?
    In the long run I think I plan to work in an Independent secondary or prep school as my children will go to an independent school and I want my holidays to coincide with theirs, but I don't want to cut down my options so significantly that I regret it later on down the line.

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Yes, you can do your NQT in an independent school.

Yes, it qualifies you to work in any sector.

Yes, many people do stay in the independent sector for their whole career simply because there are many advantages!

How easy? Depends on your talents. But: https://www.tes.com/jobs/browse/independent-senior-mathematics-teaching-and-lecturing

94 jobs! That's way ahead of any other subject (even English has only 55). And next term it will probably be even more.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There will almost always be maths jobs around if you start looking early enough.
    If you know you will be moving, you should have no trouble finding them in independent schools. Turnover isn't as high as in state schools, but maths departments are large and people do still loeave and move on.