1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths - National 3 Lifeskills HELP!

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by MunchkinMe, Apr 30, 2013.

1. I am a supply teacher working in a behavioural school and I have been working on the N3 Lifeskills course. I was wondering if anyone has been working on this and how they are going about trying to develop a course. Any help you could give me would be wonderful.

Many thanks!!

2. Sorry you haven't had any luck with this, especially since i'm in the same boat! Let me know if you've made any progress and i'll do the same.

3. I am also teaching N3 this/next year to a set 4 (of 4) class of 14. I don't have much yet but thought that it would be great to get some ideas shared.

I am going to go for the unit-by-unit approach, starting with Numeracy and using the ready made assessments from SQA. I'm going to do the social context numeracy test because I found somewhere a couple of practice ones modelled upon it. Hopefully this will be done in late October. I have a very loosely sketched out year planner if it is any use to you.

I have gone through the test, listed the topics needed and found existing resources. The course matches pretty closely with Teejay 3G and Access 3 books. I have four periods a week and one of those will be spent on Mathletics with individual pupils practising what they need to or being pushed on a bit.

I am also looking closely at the new Teejay 4a book which is very similar to the old 3G. This is with a view to doing N4 next year with some but probably not all of my class.

What have you both got so far?

4. I also work in a behavioural school and have been tasked with creating a lifeskills maths course. I have created tracking sheets, observation sheets and quite a lot of lesson plans. I'd happily share these if you guys have anything similar you'd like to share. Save us all doing the same work. Get in touch and we could maybe swap email addresses of create a glow group for uploading resources

5. Hi I also work in ASN. Have you seen the Maths in Action National 3 book? if so what do you think of it. I have developed a fair bit for national 2 and am part of a working party based in south Lanarkshire. Have you made any more progress since this post?

6. Hi, same situation- working on second, third level and nat3/4 stuff. Happy to share where I am. Working on keeping everything in a folder- avoiding admin hassle with stuff everywhere- so no jotters!

7. Hi, same situation- working on second, third level and nat3/4 stuff. Happy to share where I am. Working on keeping everything in a folder- avoiding admin hassle with stuff everywhere- so no jotters! Trying to keep the activities quite small and manageable