1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Mental Starters

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fruit_bat, Sep 18, 2015.

1. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Hi,

Do you have a weekly objective or daily objectives for your mental starter in maths? When I first started teaching it was daily, then it was weekly now I don't know what to do for the best!

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm in Year 1 by the way!

2. Sarahmck86

Sarahmck86 New commenter

I'm in year 5, our starters are linked to the learning that has taken place previously and leads into the lesson. It's usually something they do on whiteboards and often in pairs.

3. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

We tend to have a daily objective that revises concepts already taught.

4. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Thank you for your replies. Going to bring it up in the next staff meeting as we all seem to be doing different thiings as a staff and everyone is unsure.

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I think the crucial thing here is 'does the starter help children develop their fluency?'

There is certainly no requirement to link it to anything else - if you are having the salmon, it doesn't mean you have to start with the prawn cocktail.

6. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

True. Thank you for your reply!

7. peterfogarty

peterfogarty New commenter

8. youmakemesmile

youmakemesmile New commenter

Peter, I've just been on your website and totally love it! Thank you for sharing it!