1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Mastery Curriculum - is anyone doing this in Primary? Advice/help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Twinkles, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Apparently, this is how we're going to be teaching Maths this year (according to Thursday's INSET!) We've been given an outline of how it works and I've spent today trawling around the web but a lot of what I've found seems to depend on textbooks and workbooks (which we don't have!) so now I'd really like to hear from anyone who's actually doing this so I can get more of an idea of what we're supposed to be doing....from Monday!

Thanks

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

3. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

"mastery" seems to mean different things to just about everyone, so it's hard to know what is meant by what your school is proposing

4. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Thanks for the link carriecat - that's really helpful!

michael - I think it's what's known as 'Singapore Maths'. I think we all started to panic as soon as they started talking about teaching the whole class exactly the same thing, not having any ability groups and all the children using concrete methods before moving to pictorial and then abstract concepts. Now I've read a bit more about it I feel a little reassured, but not much tbh, especially with a visit from the mighty O on the horizon!

5. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

We discarded the Singapore idea after it came to light that only the top 80% of children actually go to school so there is no SEN so differentiation is less of an issue. Apparently.

6. Sarahmck86

Sarahmck86 New commenter

We're using a mastery curriculum, rather than a 'spiral' approach where you revisit each domain during the year, you do it once, get all pupils secure in their understanding before moving on. It's about understanding why the maths works. The concepts then are transferred into the other concepts. Eg we are doing place value now, once there is a secure understanding of that, we'll move onto addition and subtraction but refer back to place value in that.

7. KelRilon

KelRilon New commenter

My previous school was moving into that direction and I'm trying to establish it in my new one. We are working towards "mastery", but they have a very low starting point and a heck of a lot of ground to make up. I don't tend to use ability groups and haven't really used fixed groups in years. Fixed ability groups and fixed ideas of what children should be capable of (as in "you do that worksheet,...this group will be doing this task...") seem quite restrictive, in addition to taking responsibility for progress away from the individual child, which I don't agree with. Learning doesn't happen to you, it's an active process and something I expect children to be held accountable for.

The idea of moving from concrete to pictorial and abstract isn't really anything scary,...it's a normal progression. I'm pretty sure your KS1 children are used to concrete materials and pictorical representation. I still use some of that in UKS2, but move from one to the other very quickly.

I mostly teach the whole class the same thing, although my SEN children are working towards mastering the KS1 expectations and they are taught separately. If they can already do it, they move on and get something more challenging to do. If they can't, we have another look and try to get our heads around it. Lessons are differentiated, I just don't tend to plan for certain children to do specific tasks. It tends to make the whole thing more focused, challenging and needs-led. (I have to admit, though, I've been teaching this way for quite a few years already...blissfully ignoring national strategies and groupings and new initiatives. I wasn't even aware that there was such a thing like "Maths Mastery" until our Maths coordinator started talking about it. For me, it's always been the most natural and effective way of teaching Maths,...I didn't go to school in the UK, though, which might have played a part in shaping my understanding of how Maths should be taught.)

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Similar to sarahmck.

KS1 and lower KS2 are using the Maths No Problem programme, UKS2 are not as we thought the gaps/methodology used was too far from their current position. So they latter are using the mastery curriculum, we focus on a particular area and draw in other concepts to suit. So if covering addition and subtraction, we would also cover area, angles in triangles and quadriltaerals etc, There is less differentiation downwards( as the differentiation can simply promote the huge gaps in ability levels in the class) but more work on securing key concepts and extending understanding widthways rather than vertically

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Perimeter NOT area!

11. DFC

DFC New commenter

There are some really good free resources in the Mathematics Shed

12. TESiboard

TESiboard New commenter TES Authors' forum host Jobseekers' Forum Host

FYI: We're producing a 'Mastering Maths' progression, based on the "Singapore-style" approach. So far, the first 3 units are available on the TES iboard site: Mastering Maths We would love to hear your thoughts on this - please message TESiboard through the TES site or email iboard@tes.co.uk Please note: These packs are part of TESiboard+ premium content (£11.99 a year for access to all site content), but you can access freely if you take a FREE 30-day trial.