1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths - making the learning of key skills exciting - Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lo77ee, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I am a Year 3 teacher and to be honest, finding it extremely difficult to make any of the teaching of the key skills (i.e rounding, multiplying by 10, 100 etc) exciting.
    I am not a strong maths teacher - we have been told that we need to make the maths lesson more fun and exciting - I completely agree - but I really struggle to find ways to make practicing new skills fun.
    I'm probably not the only teacher, who, having taught a skill, then gives my class sheets of boring old NOW TRY THESE to have a go with.

Does anyone have any ideas or is there a magical book called 'How to make the teaching of dull key skills exciting and stimulating?'

Many thanks in advance for anyone's words of wisdom!!
    :)

2. I am a Year 3 teacher and to be honest, finding it extremely difficult to make any of the teaching of the key skills (i.e rounding, multiplying by 10, 100 etc) exciting.
    I am not a strong maths teacher - we have been told that we need to make the maths lesson more fun and exciting - I completely agree - but I really struggle to find ways to make practicing new skills fun.
    I'm probably not the only teacher, who, having taught a skill, then gives my class sheets of boring old NOW TRY THESE to have a go with.

Does anyone have any ideas or is there a magical book called 'How to make the teaching of dull key skills exciting and stimulating?'

Many thanks in advance for anyone's words of wisdom!!
    :)

3. somethings in life are dull - not everything can be exciting - that is a sad fact of life and children need to accept it. It won't go away. Wish my life was always exciting! As long as the duller bits are mixed in with the more creative/ exciting / interesting that's the best you can do.
    The only way children will become confident in new skills is by practising them then using and applying to everyday situations.
    The children that have the most problems are those that think school should be like television - all singing and all dancing all the time. You will be exhausted if you try to do that.
    be realistic - that's my advise [​IMG]

4. What a lovely cheery response! Thanks. Unfortunately, these are messages from above: to make learning more exciting!
    I agree though- the more we sing and dance, the more they want!!

5. I've done an Incy Wincy Spider thing before with Y2. Think I got the plan from TES somewhere. The children made their own special rounding spiders with 10 legs. If it has 5 or more it can climb up, if it has less than 5 it climbs down the drainpipe...

I know what you mean though. I find adding and subtracting on number lines etc VERY boring but it's an essential skill they need to practice, and it's so hard to think of an exciting way to do it but which doesn't mean that they don't then get as much practice as they would have done taught in a more conventional way! Chalking on the playground I think I resorted to last time!