1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Makes Sense

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CliveWallis, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hello
    We're starting Maths Makes Sense in September.
    Can anyone suggest anything I can read / do / prepare ahead of our INSET sessions?
    Does anyone have any experience of MMS and any comments / thoughts / suggestions?
    Thanks
    Clive

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Advice - if you are going to do it, embrace it for what it is rather than trying a half hearted watery version! Richard and Donna are fab - very enthusiastic so even though I was more than sceptical at first by the end of the training I was a lot more convinced. I would also say don't get hung up on SATS style assessments in line with MMS as they don't always tally and so you are only getting a small piece of the picture. I believe from September the full MMS material will be ready for KS2 - as it is we have to plan it from a spreadsheet breakdown and design our own assessments but I think you will get all that from Sept so planning & prep will be a breeze! If you want I can email you the scheme of work I plan from to give you a general idea. Id send the scripts too but I don't have them at home.

3. Hey could i be nosy..
    I've just qualified as a teacher, was wondering what Maths Makes sense is?
    Would you be able to clarify.
    I read a couple of posts and feel stupid to ask what they are about.

Thanks
    Aim

4. cally1980

Its just a scheme of work, only it sort of takes a more practical approach to teaching maths using cups to demonstrate the principles. It follows a script though so you have to use certain phrases for things, eg multiplication you have to say 'love what you are doing, do the same thing lots of times - how many times? x times. They talk about the maths story (a calculation) and the real story (acting it out with cups). Its a bit difficult to explain - you sort of have to see it in action!

5. Training is very convincing - in reality it's nothing like what is "sold" on the training days.

6. Nice to know what people are on about. :)

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

8. cally1980

Yes, it is Richard Dunne who created MMS!

9. Yes, this scheme was developed by that guy. As a teacher it's so so BORING, but I have to admit that it really gets the concepts of the basic functions over to KS1 children. I'm not at that school now, but i still use some of the cup analogies in my teaching. :)

10. cally1980

It is very repetitive. I've been teaching grid method every Monday for 2 terms solid. That is another difference - rather than teaching in blocks you teach Arithmetic 1 on a Monday, Geometry on Tues, Data & Measure on Weds, Arithmetic 2 on Thurs and Reasoning on Fri.

11. We are also looking to introduce this in KS1 from September. Have you found it good although repetitive? Would be interesting to hear other peoples opinions on it.

Thanks

12. cally1980

It's difficult to say really. It allows very little freedom which is a downside - it is very prescribed. The repetition is an essential part of the process. I think it works really well for some things (negative numbers for example) it has weaker areas (problem solving).

13. Hi Cally

Thanks for your feedback. I'd be grateful if you could email me the scheme of work: clivewallisontour@hotmail.com

Excuse the lack of spaces - am typing on a Mac

Clive

14. The repetition, specific language and use of peer-learning reminds me a bit of ReadWriteInc in terms of approach (which our school took on this year.

Clive

15. cally1980

I think there is some professional connection between Ruth Miskin and Richard Dunne, so im not surprised there are parallels. Will email now.

16. I've just watched the 2 videos (thanks for the links) and I'm a bit confused. He talks a lot about maths being an abstract language and how it should be taught as such, rather than being related to everyday things. However he uses cups which are surely concrete apparatus rather than abstract numbers. Why is using cups OK but pizzas (or whatever!) not?
    Also, did he just work on numbers up to 10 (with the cups)? So is it just for children beginning to understand our number system (I did follow the fractions work but can't see how you would extend)?
    And, how did he show division?
    Thanks

17. Bump
    Anyone offer further info?

18. I am currently teaching Y4. My school started MMS in Sept. I like the principals. However, obviously my class are behind with the skills as they had a different curriculum when they were in y3.The lesson plans are too inflexible in my opinion. It is very difficult to learn what was taught in y3 so I can teach it to my lower ability. If there was a calculation policy it would make life easier but there isn't. Some lessons have too much tricky content. E.g. Neg numbers, fraction and TUxTU all in one lesson. If your school is considering it I would only get it for the infants initially and let it move up through the school year by year. It is also very difficult having a block for each day of the week ( e.g. Mon arithmetic 1, Tue Geom, Wed Arith2, Thurs Data, Fri Reasoning). There are also lots of things which are not taught substantially enough which I think are important ( e.g. problem solving and investigations) I have a lot of reservations but aim trying to keep an open mind.

19. It's a reboot of Making Maths Make Sense which was out at the turn of the millennia. It's basically trying to jump on the success of RWI but it's nowhere near as good. Where RWI is split into differentiated groups, this is whole class. It teaches tricks alongside concepts (tens as -ty 1ty, 2ty, 3 ty etc). Boring for kids and staff. Save money, just get practical counting equipment out and do it yourselves.