1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Makes Sense

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cinnamonsquare, Feb 7, 2011.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Recently went on a seminar about this scheme and way of teaching. Went in skeptical, came away more interested.

Does anybody already use this in school? As far as I know it's only published for KS1 so far, with KS2 to follow this year. What do you think of it? Did you replace something else with it? How does it compare?

Thanks.

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Recently went on a seminar about this scheme and way of teaching. Went in skeptical, came away more interested.

Does anybody already use this in school? As far as I know it's only published for KS1 so far, with KS2 to follow this year. What do you think of it? Did you replace something else with it? How does it compare?

Thanks.

3. My previous school used the original version - available for KS2. I was very very sceptical and hated teaching to a script which you could not deviate from at first, but the results were amazing. Now I've gone back to the national curriculum I cann't believe how little the children know - ask to go and see it in practise, there are many schools who will open their doors to show off the results.

4. I am a key stage 2 teacher currently teaching maths makes sense and struggling to like it. Can you tell me how you were able to assess your children to show amazing results? I am unable to make clear links to APP or even find a coherent progression within the scheme itself. I don't want to write it off but cannot see evidence that the children are making progress. At present it has taken a subject I loved teaching to one I hate!

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I teach it - I was unconvinced at first but found the training very inspirational and came away thinking it could work. The actual teaching of it since has been easy enough but I have to say sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt... There are some things that seem so much easier to the children and others that are way more long winded!
    I really like the negative numbers 'digging' as its very logical, I also like getting the cups out to find fractions of an amount. However, when we do unconnected assessments the children find it difficult to apply mms out of its context. I am guessing that by year 6 they are able to do this as our Maths results are high. I teach year 4 and there is a ks2 programme, but they dont have all the published resources that ks1 has. Our ks1 material is cross referenced to APP - it is all there for you! Have been told that the ks2 equivalent is due in Sept.