1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths lessons to incorporate a rainforest theme? Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jools1808, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm trying to plan a sequence of lessons about the rainforest in science, but need to link these to maths also.
    In science, we will be studying habitats and variation, focusing on why we can't grow bananas etc in Britain following a unit of work on plant growth (SC2).
    I was thinking about weight and measure, perhaps using products such as cocoa or bananas to make cakes, with a focus on weighing and measuring these correctly.
    Has anyone got any other ideas? I'm unsure about this and thought perhaps I could do something with money also.
    This is a sequence of 3 lessons for a year 3/4 class.
    Thank you in advance!

2. Hi,
    I'm trying to plan a sequence of lessons about the rainforest in science, but need to link these to maths also.
    In science, we will be studying habitats and variation, focusing on why we can't grow bananas etc in Britain following a unit of work on plant growth (SC2).
    I was thinking about weight and measure, perhaps using products such as cocoa or bananas to make cakes, with a focus on weighing and measuring these correctly.
    Has anyone got any other ideas? I'm unsure about this and thought perhaps I could do something with money also.
    This is a sequence of 3 lessons for a year 3/4 class.
    Thank you in advance!

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

How about counting the trees?

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

My first thoughts are that you could look at the objectives in Handling Data and Measuring.
    Venn or Carroll Diagrams - classifying wildlife of the rainforest.
    Temperature graphs - especially with your work on bananas - comparing temps in rainforest and UK (interpreting or producing these themselves).
    Appropriate scales - your weighing activity.
    Area of rainforest - overlay of squares to put on a map.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Temperature graphs? food miles? fair trade vs not costing for the cake?

There is a fair trade game that involves drawing shapes accurately, might be a bit hard for year 3/4 not sure. google it and have a look.