1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths lesson

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ArtistS4, Apr 11, 2012.

1. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have to give a numeracy lesson to 3 and a half yr olds on number formation - to teach the children how to write the number two and it must be teacher initiated. Can anyone help me with ideas for this?

Many thanks!

Sophie

2. Is it a nursery class in a school?

3. Gosh that sounds very formal and unecessary. I suppose you could get lots of trays with nice sensory bits in like gloop, custard, shaving foam etc and play at making the shapes. Paint, take a car for a drive in the paint and paint the number. Make it with the playdough then make '2' things, like 2 cakes with 2 balls on?Outside use stick paint brushes and use mud paint to paint it on walls.Good luck with that one! [​IMG]

4. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

Thank you, Nats. I have a new job as an Early Yrs Practitioner - my first teaching role so I'm a bit unsure of what I'm doing at the moment, to be honest! I've never even witnessed a structured lesson for such a young age group. Before starting at the school after Easter Hols, I have to come up with lots of lesson plans (which is all new to me!) I'm doing my best to come up with ideas even though I'm not sure of the kids abilities. Your ideas sound great to me - thank you.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Number dance with ribbons