1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths lesson observation straight after 1/2 term

Discussion in 'Primary' started by regencyrob, Jun 6, 2012.

1. GIve top group laptops and £500 to spend on B+Q website - need to purchase equpiment seeds etc to create school garden. They can cost price per person in the class. They could work out price of 10 trowels etc using multiplication. A gardening club could not just have 1 trowel, 1 spade, 1 pack of seeds so multiplication and addition will be needed.
    Middles could find out cost of specific shopping list from website or catalogue. Extension to find cheaper alternatives.
    Lower group could use catalogue pages to add up 2 - 3 items each and work out change from given amount.
    You have the rest of half term to get to argos - 4 catalogues per day should be enough or Tesco direct.
    Got me a good with outstanding from Ofsted

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

note to self
    no matter how whizz bang the lesson....
    unless each and every pupil is shown to have made progress in the one hour lesson, you will not get a good grade.
    So focus on being able to show they they have progressed mathematically, and learnt something.
    not sure how you do it, perhaps others can add suggestions!
    leave time for the plenary and hope that the observer stays long enough to see it (unlike my last two observations where they did not, and then criticised lack of progress even though they did not see the evidence that was in the plenary!!!!!)
    and make sure that if you have a TA, they are involved in both the opening and plenary!

3. Remember ch. can show progress through application

4. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

I did a similar lesson but it was about planning a trip to London (links to the Olympics?) They had to plan their journey (we used the train line website) find a hotel and plan one entertainment )visit to London Eye, Madame Tussauds for example) They then had to present their work as a poster. The lesson really took off when I said to them that they could spend £150 a night on a hotel if they wanted, but that I was travelling first class and going to the Ritz! For many children it was apparently their favourite maths lesson of the year...They made some great posters too.