1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths lesson interview!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mv1988, May 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have just found out I have an interview early next week and I have to teach a 30min maths session to a mixed ability year 1 class. I was thinking of doing a lesson on doubling. Im not sure if im on the right track. and advice would be much appreciated. thank you in advance
    opening being discussing what doubling means (adding the same number together) and doing a qucik mental and oral on the recall of doubles to see what they know, using ict to represent the number we are doubling. Then introduce the ladybirds, they have no spots on. we need to have the same amount of spots on each side - doubling a number. do an example together

main part of session all children work at tables with a laminated ladybird. they choose a number card and have to double that number using the ladybird to help, drawing that number of spots on each side and adding them together, space on the ladybird to write the answer. wipe ladybird clean and pick another number, HA write the number sentence to go with the double e.g 5+5=10.
    pleanery, do we think we can use what we have learnt to match up these doubling questions with their answers. each child have a card. they have to find the matching person. hgalf the children have double 5. (0r another number) rest of children have the answers. they have to talk to each other to find their partner.
    dont know if it will be too hard or easy or wether the main activity is good enought! please help.

thanks

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would recommend that you also post this in Primary.
    Like a number of the people who use this forum I only work in secondary so I can't comment. I like the idea of your ladybirds though!

3. Thank you!

4. Wanderer007

Wanderer007 New commenter

Upon hearing about ladybirds, I immediately recalled a Royal Society publication related to it (Sutherland, 1997). Sorry - I'm a secondary teacher, so can't offer any first hand advice. It's on algebra, but there is a KS2 section on p.11 (16th page in), which I think you may find useful reading! Good luck [​IMG]
    http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/uploadedFiles/Royal_Society_Content/Influencing_Policy/Education/Reports/Teachingandlearningalgebrapre19.pdf