1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths lesson for reception,year 1 and year 2

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tweetypi88, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I am teaching a mixed reception,year 1 and year 2 class tomorrow, and I've been asked to do something mathematical. Any ideas? As i lack experience teaching the three years within one class..

2. I am teaching a mixed reception,year 1 and year 2 class tomorrow, and I've been asked to do something mathematical. Any ideas? As i lack experience teaching the three years within one class..

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

On supply with that age range I usually do number pattern strings eg beads/ buttons (whatever is in the classroom) in a variety of patterns eg blue, red,blue,red, 2 blue, 1 red, 2 blue etc, can be easily extended to 3 pattern for HA. easy for children to do, copy on to squared paper as a record of what they've done and then we compare all the ways and see how quickly we can make xxx's pattern in the plenary or guess what the pattern is.

4. What about using the lazy ladybird story and then have a ladybird with stick on spots and do some number bond work. Reception could all do it practically with A4 ladybirds and make a low number with cubes. Could make it harder for Year 2 - make 10, 15, 20. How can they make sure they have all the possibilties? Year 2 can record their work. If you search for ladybird maths a lot of ideas come up!

5. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I think most teachers have not come across the three age group class before. I may sound harsh in saying this and theres no har in asking for advice, but it is your job to know how to plan for them.

Differentiation by outcome may be your best bet.