1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths leadership in primary school

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sagu, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Dear Colleagues
    I have been offered the post of the Maths leader in my school (primary). Reason being I have proved to improve the maths results in my class dramatically. Now with this post i am obviously expected to get whole new approach to maths teaching in my school as our results are very poor. I would really appreciate any good advice, resources, intiatives that has worked in any of your schools to raise standards across the school in Maths. I have heard of a new initiative for called maths talk. Anyone can please share any resources, advice with regards to primary maths. Any advice will be most appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Dear Colleagues
    I have been offered the post of the Maths leader in my school (primary). Reason being I have proved to improve the maths results in my class dramatically. Now with this post i am obviously expected to get whole new approach to maths teaching in my school as our results are very poor. I would really appreciate any good advice, resources, intiatives that has worked in any of your schools to raise standards across the school in Maths. I have heard of a new initiative for called maths talk. Anyone can please share any resources, advice with regards to primary maths. Any advice will be most appreciated.
    Thank you.

3. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

What was it that you did to dramatically improve the maths results in your class?

4. Hi sagu,
    Congratulations on your appointment. I hope you'll find this positions stimulating and fulfilling.

My first bit of advice would be to make sure your head gets you onto Mast training. You'll be spending high quality time with people in similar situations to yourself, studying apporopriate strategies together. What could be better than that?

Here's another tip. There's a new microsite for teaching assistants in maths classrooms here
    https://www.ncetm.org.uk/resources/27310
    why not do a TA's training session. Spend the first 15 minutes discussion their hopes and issue with them. Set them exploring the microsite for 30 mins and then have a group discussion about ways forward for the final 15 mins.

Time to pass the baton....

5. We focused on calculations and making children reason why it works. Some of the children were just following methods e.g. chunking without understanding its meaning. Hence they couldn't understand what they were doing and why. So in class we had a big focus on written and mental maths strategies. They each had maths buddies a liitle bit higher than their level whom they could share and reason their maths work to and learn from each other. hope i have answered your question.

6. Thank you so much weebecka
    I am already on the MAST course. Your advice about training TA's is definetly a must in my school. Once again thankyou :)

7. Hi sagu, congratulations on your appointment, all the very best of luck with it.

I work in a secondary school and have a responsibility point for assessment. Part of my work involves going into primaries and helping out with assessment and taking some extension lessons. Money is tight in most LAs but it might be worth contacting secondaries you feed into in order to try see if there is anyone there who might be able to come in and lend a hand.

You asked about resources and something that has gone down well in the primaries I work with has been the APP Maths Toolkit.

Don't be put off by the 'APP' in the title, they have some great slides to use on the IWB, matching exercises and puzzles along with more formal NC test style questions. It covers all the APP Assessment Foci. It's very clearly laid out and well presented. Making up the sets of cards can take some time but laminate them and store them so everyone can use them.

Your work so far sounds really great, wishing you a successful time in your new post.

8. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

You certainly have answered my question. You have developed strategies which allow your students to develop a deeper understanding of Maths. Lots of the kids who come into secondary education lack this IME.
    Why not roll-out the tried and tested techniques you have developed, across the whole school? If you have already done this, was your success replicated elsewhere? Perhaps you're just better at teaching Maths than your colleagues.
    Sorry if I'm stating the bIeeding obvious but sometimes I think that we over-complicate things. The MAST stuff looks good too, if a little contrived (hope I haven't offended anyone with this observation).

9. I should have added that I've found working with primaries to be extremely productive on both sides, I hope that I've helped them a little and I know that I've certainly gained a great deal from working with them. There is a very good exchange of ideas both ways.

10. While your strategies are excellent, I'm always cautious of 'whole school roll outs' and prefer to make time understand what other teachers are already doing and to try to tease out the strengths of their own backgrounds before I talk about my ideas.
    This seems to be a common theme here:
    some secondary heads of maths giving their best advice
    At primary level it's also essential to understand that the benefit from your calculation strategy comes from the collaborative processes of writing it rather than from the finished article.
    Getting all staff to understand and share with children that there are two routes through division (splitting and chunking), both equally valid but fundamentally different is also key.